PDA

View Full Version : OS hardware list?

tom66
November 8th, 2009, 11:02 PM
Is there any online database of hardware that just works for different operating systems, especially Linux? I found one for Ubuntu, but it's limited in that it's only for Ubuntu.

SunnyRabbiera
November 8th, 2009, 11:05 PM
I have not really found an all out database on hardware that works for Ubuntu/linux.
Windows yes, OSX yes.
But meh I use the wonderful invention called the receipt if my new hardware doesnt work with linux.

The Funkbomb
November 8th, 2009, 11:06 PM
I highly doubt it. Creating a list like that would be a huge undertaking. Any list you may find will probably be out of date and incomplete. It would be handy to have, just not feasible.

tom66
November 8th, 2009, 11:07 PM
I'm thinking more of a user edited list which gathers data from a variety of sources and attempts to make conclusions using that data. For operating systems, including Windows (this can be lacking on some hardware you buy online.)

Well, secretly, I've kind of been working on one in my spare time, but it will be a while until it is complete...

Frak
November 9th, 2009, 12:00 AM
BSD has one.
Windows has one.
Most embarassing, even OS X has one (http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.6.0).

Linux? No. Can it be done? Yes.

The Funkbomb
November 9th, 2009, 12:03 AM
The issue I see with a user edited list is people blaming good hardware for lack of skills. That's not an insult, I'm new to this too.

For example, if my soundcard wasn't supported but I could make it work, someone else might come along and change that to it not working. There are a lot of inconsistencies based on knowledge.

Frak
November 9th, 2009, 12:15 AM
The issue I see with a user edited list is people blaming good hardware for lack of skills. That's not an insult, I'm new to this too.

For example, if my soundcard wasn't supported but I could make it work, someone else might come along and change that to it not working. There are a lot of inconsistencies based on knowledge.
That's why they have fields "Works Natively?" and "If not, link to method". Great thing about Wiki's is that they can be rolled back to show the necessary information. A user edited HCL is better than no HCL.

cariboo
November 9th, 2009, 12:39 AM
It may help if everyone used System-->Administration-->System Testing, this utility reports back to Canonical. There is a database located here (http://www.ubuntuhcl.org/).

Frak
November 9th, 2009, 12:51 AM
It may help if everyone used System-->Administration-->System Testing, this utility reports back to Canonical. There is a database located here (http://www.ubuntuhcl.org/).
Why is there no announcement about this? Sounds like something that needs to be advertised a bit more.

cariboo
November 9th, 2009, 02:22 AM
System testing has been in every release I've used since at least 6.06.

The Ubuntu hardware database took less time to find than it took to write this post, using Google.

Frak
November 9th, 2009, 02:25 AM
System testing has been in every release I've used since at least 6.06.
HCL, not the app. There are people out there right now marking this as a con to Linux, but there isn't much push for people to check it.

cariboo
November 9th, 2009, 03:49 AM
The Ubuntu HCL has been around for at least 3 years.

The big problem is that a lot of people think Ubuntu=Linux, so they look for an HCL list specific to Ubuntu only. All distribution use the same kernel, although the large distribution creators do customize the kernel to some extent. An HCL for Redhat should be the same as for Suse and Ubuntu. Personally I would like to see an HCL that works for all distributions.

To me it would be much easier to search for compatible hardware from one list, instead of having to check with each distribution to make sure hardware is compatible, just in case I want to switch to something else.

Frak
November 9th, 2009, 04:14 AM
The Ubuntu HCL has been around for at least 3 years.

The big problem is that a lot of people think Ubuntu=Linux, so they look for an HCL list specific to Ubuntu only. All distribution use the same kernel, although the large distribution creators do customize the kernel to some extent. An HCL for Redhat should be the same as for Suse and Ubuntu. Personally I would like to see an HCL that works for all distributions.

To me it would be much easier to search for compatible hardware from one list, instead of having to check with each distribution to make sure hardware is compatible, just in case I want to switch to something else.
Well, If I'm going to use Ubuntu, I'd want to check the Ubuntu HCL now wouldn't I?

That's my point, really. I just wished there was a link on the home page to check with. It kinda points users into thinking (at least from what I see) that Ubuntu's just going to magically work. A lot of people, including a lot of Linux newbies have some mentality that it just automatically works with everything.

cariboo
November 9th, 2009, 07:09 AM
The unfortunate part is that most users won't look at the Ubuntu web site, witness how many people upgraded to Karmic without checking the release notes first.

I would venture to guess that most new users get their first Ubuntu iso from a bittorrent tracker that has nothing to do with Ubuntu or any other Linux distribution. They have no idea of the resources that are available from the various web sites.

I'm not suggesting an HCL is a bad idea. The only people that do look at the hardware compatibility list are people like you and me who have been using something other than Windows for several years.

Just go look at the support forums, you'll see that there a quite a few people that have no idea what hardware they are running, be it a laptop, or a desktop, so even if there is an HCL it wouldn't do them much good.

Frak
November 9th, 2009, 07:15 AM
Just go look at the support forums, you'll see that there a quite a few people that have no idea what hardware they are running, be it a laptop, or a desktop, so even if there is an HCL it wouldn't do them much good.

For the sake of questioning, how far complete is the HCL? If there's some way I can scrape values from the HCL, I could try to create a compatibility checking application for Windows, assuming that's where most users are coming from.