PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation vs an Upgrade

gordon33
November 8th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Hello All

I want to Upgrade to 9.04 then to 9.10 Ubuntu. Where do I go to get the 2 Upgrades? Will I have to click on something special for an Upgrade vs a complet install?

I have saved all that needed to be saved from my Ubuntu 8.04m OS.

Gordon webb

raymondh
November 8th, 2009, 10:07 PM
Hello All

I want to Upgrade to 9.04 then to 9.10 Ubuntu. Where do I go to get the 2 Upgrades? Will I have to click on something special for an Upgrade vs a complet install?

I have saved all that needed to be saved from my Ubuntu 8.04m OS.

Gordon webb

Gordon,

On software sources (system > administration), and in the update tab, make sure it is set to update to newer releases. If you do plan to upgrade through the network form hardy 8.04, you have to go sequentially (8.10 > 9.04 > 9.10) and make sure you are updated on each version before proceeding to the next.

Depending on your patience and download speed, it is often better to do a straight install of your preferred version. Of course, try out the liveCD (live session) first.

Post back if you need a guide to do a manual, fresh install. Of course, it'll help the forum if you can post as well a gparted screenshot of your HD.

Good luck.

wojox
November 8th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Yes try it out first and try and do a fresh install to get the full advantage of Ext4 and Grub2.

gordon33
November 8th, 2009, 10:20 PM
Hello Raymond Henson

Thank you for the information. When I follow the instructions "(system > administration), and in the update tab, make sure it is set to update to newer releases."

I get lost at "in the update tab" Update Manager is as close as I see in Administration. Still, clicking on Update Manager I get a box (with out tabs to set to update to newer releases).

Gordon33

raymondh
November 8th, 2009, 10:28 PM
Hello Raymond Henson

Thank you for the information. When I follow the instructions "(system > administration), and in the update tab, make sure it is set to update to newer releases."

I get lost at "in the update tab" Update Manager is as close as I see in Administration. Still, clicking on Update Manager I get a box (with out tabs to set to update to newer releases).

Gordon33

Sorry, meant NORMAL release

system > administration > software sources > updates (tab) > release upgrade > choose normal release

By default, 8.04 will not offer a upgrade to 8.10 because hardy is a LTS version whilst intrepid is a normal release. When you have set your software sources, access update manager and update. Once updated, you will be given a window offering you to upgrade to 8.10. make sure you are updated in 8.04 first before proceeding to intrepid.

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/upgrade-ubuntu-804-hardy-heron-to-ubuntu-810-intrepid-ibix.html

Good luck.