PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] music player

patchido
November 8th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Which is the prefered music player nowadays?
i want a player that suports ipod, i have a ipod classic 80gbs
i would hate that when i update my music with any linux music player my songs where moved, i mean that artwork disappear or maybe playlists getting wrong, it has has happend to me tats why i want to ask for advices before hand

SuperSonic4
November 8th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Whatever you like best really it's one of the great things about Linux.

My favourite is Amarok 2.2 but as a KDE app it will pull in Qt deps for ubuntu.

I should also point out that I don't have an iPod so I don't know what syncs with them anymore

ghostborg
November 8th, 2009, 11:34 PM
basic player:
VLC is OK, open the playlist to use it.
SMplayer.

Itunes like players. Carefull with your music directories with these:
Songbird
Amarok
Rhythmbox

SunnyRabbiera
November 8th, 2009, 11:38 PM
Banshee is a good app

patchido
November 8th, 2009, 11:44 PM
but which one can i use to update my music files?

The Funkbomb
November 8th, 2009, 11:48 PM
Banshee is my favorite. Amarok is too heavy. Rhythmbox is too light. Banshee is a good in the middle.

patchido
November 9th, 2009, 12:52 AM
banshee and ipod work together?? mine wont appear in banshee

wojox
November 9th, 2009, 12:55 AM
Rhythmbox works with ipod.

devehf
November 9th, 2009, 07:53 AM
Amarok is solid for updating music tags and artwork. I just upgraded to Karmic from Hardy, Amarok 1.4 to 2.2, and all my playlists are there and well and good. Amarok is pretty smart at letting you move your files around in your directory structure and maintaining pointers from the data in your collection to the new file location.

I also have an iPod classic 80GB. iPod syncing was not intuitive. I accidentally clicked on "toggle unified view mode" and this did not allow me to see that the iPod was connected.

Also if you want to copy or move files to the iPod, you need to right click on an album in the collection (or file or folder in file/folder view mode) and select copy or move to "ipod". I'm doing this now for the first time and it appears to be slower than I remember it being in 1.4.

It took me a while to figure this out. Had to get on freenode.net and chat with a programmer on #amarok.

MelDJ
November 9th, 2009, 08:51 AM
i use songbird. there are many extensions you can add to it for functionality. you just need to add the ipod device support to sync music.