PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Grub failing after ubuntu install

karuzo
November 8th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Hello all,
I'm having this situation where although possibly common, I was unable to find a solution for.
On Thursday I reinstalled windows on my work computer after installing a new hard drive. I decided to also install ubuntu in case I need it (I did need it before and used the live cd).
Windows is installed on primary hard drive and ubuntu on a slave drive. Problem is that even though I pointed it to install grub on first drive I get this error when booting:
'grub error: no disk found' and a grub-rescue prompt.
My main problem is that I cannot spend too much time figuring this out on my work computer as I am not supposed to, for non-work issues. If I cannot resolve it in 10 minutes I will have to reinstall windows, or use its recovery feature for that matter. Any suggestions on how to reinstall grub or fix the situation in a safe and sure way that will work? My main computer at home is running ubuntu and I'm familiar with the terminal and basic commands...
Thanks.

mechro
November 8th, 2009, 08:57 PM
You can edit grub when it boots so you can look for the right "root" and partition to boot.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~herman546/p15.html#Temporarily_Edit_the_GRUB_Menu

This isn't a permanent fix. You'll have to edit and maybe re-install grub.

Try the quick fix and see if it works.

mechro
November 8th, 2009, 09:03 PM
A useful tip when editing grub on the fly is the tab key prompt e.g if you edit the root line to read root( then pressing the tab key will offer you the relevant options and you can guess which is the correct one and try it

mechro
November 8th, 2009, 09:14 PM
By the way, is the Grub boot menu offering the option to boot into Windows? If it does then you haven't got much of a "work" problem. If you can boot Windows then you can sort out booting Ubuntu at leisure.

karuzo
November 9th, 2009, 12:28 AM
By the way, is the Grub boot menu offering the option to boot into Windows? If it does then you haven't got much of a "work" problem. If you can boot Windows then you can sort out booting Ubuntu at leisure.
Mechro - thanks for the response. I looked into the link you provided. The machine does not get into any grub menu, only a command line "grub rescue". I managed to go to my office and bring that computer home and try to fix the problem. While researching more, I let it perform another ubuntu install with hopefully a proper chive of grub location install.
Thanks.

mechro
November 9th, 2009, 12:49 AM
Oh dear, I keep forgetting that Grub2 is now the chosen path! ;)

Boot rescue is significantly different...

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2#Editing