PDA

View Full Version : showing contents of 'Desktop' folder on the desktop

lowpan
November 8th, 2009, 07:41 PM
This sounds simple: how come the contents of 'Desktop' folder does not display on the desktop?

I have a fresh install of v9.10 UNR. I removed the Netbook Launcher and Maximus Window Management from Startup Applications, so I have a clean desktop look. Everything works fine, except the files I have in 'Desktop' folder doesn't show on the desktop. How do I make them show up?

Fenris_rising
November 8th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Same here. So I hope some one pops up with the 'knowledge'. It's the only problem I am having. Iplayer now works great and overall my eeepc is zipping along!

regards

Fenris

Z652
November 8th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Right click on desktop, change desktop background, visual effects tab top right, top radio button None.

I think!

lowpan
November 8th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Well, for me, the right mouse click brings up nothing. So, I went to System->Preferences->Appearance, found the Visual Effects tab you mentioned, mine is already set to None.

Solution is something else...

Mikko8
November 8th, 2009, 10:03 PM
I have the same problem plus another one.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8270452#post8270452

Fenris_rising
November 8th, 2009, 10:30 PM
That is the other part of my problem. The no right click menu. The desktop doesn't no it's a desktop it's got the limitations of the netbook menu system still.

regards

Fenris

barkaial
November 8th, 2009, 10:32 PM
I know this sounds stupid, but i cant see the desktop, i see this ...

http://i38.tinypic.com/11blvet.jpg

How can i actually see the desktop, with icons and all that stuff.... ???

Ty

Fenris_rising
November 8th, 2009, 10:42 PM
You switch off maximus and .............Hell something else =D This gets you a desktop but it's not functional in Karmic at this time it seems.

But Karmic is a 'work in progress' isn't it so these little things have to be born until they are sorted.

regards

Fenris

lowpan
November 8th, 2009, 10:46 PM
To lose the default clutter desktop, you need to

1. go to your top panel, right mouse click, add to panel 'Menu Bar'

2. go to the newly added menu bar: System->Preferences->Startup Applications, remove Netbook Launcher and Maximus Window Management

If I remember right, that's how I got rid of the clutter and got a clean desktop.

Mikko8
November 8th, 2009, 11:24 PM
To lose the default clutter desktop, you need to

1. go to your top panel, right mouse click, add to panel 'Menu Bar'

2. go to the newly added menu bar: System->Preferences->Startup Applications, remove Netbook Launcher and Maximus Window Management

If I remember right, that's how I got rid of the clutter and got a clean desktop.

Just tried this out and noticed that I have the standard Ubuntu version (not netbook remix) and I did not see these options in my LiveCD session. So I'm still searching for the answer... unfortunatly

Mikko8
November 9th, 2009, 08:09 PM
I solved my problem.

System -> Preferences -> Appearance -> Visual Effects -> None