PDA

View Full Version : Which 64 bit OS should I choose?

osabr22000
November 8th, 2009, 06:36 PM
I just bought an Acer Aspire Timeline installed with Vista home premium and a free upgrade to Windows 7. Vista is kind of clunky and not as responsive as I'd like, and while they say 7 is much better, I am somewhat pessimistic. Assuming I do not like Windows 7 64, which 64 bit distro of Linux should I use? Also note, I do have some experience with Opensuse and Ubuntu. Opensuse I dislike because sometimes when watching a video I get some error about codecs. Ubuntu was okay I guess.

I will be using my system for school and as a media center. I do play some games, but nothing obscene that has to run on Windows. I play games like freecell/solitaire and chess. As much as I detest MS, I do like how the office software integrates nicely with Outlook and even their abysmal browser. For instance, if I am looking at a table of sports statistics and I copy several rows and columns from IE into Excel, excel breaks up each stat into it's own cell whereas if I do the same from Opera or Firefox to Excel it pastes the info either all into one column or one cell. So I would like to keep that seamlessness. I also like the option of "sending/printing to One note"
In addition to school/research/finances, I will be using my laptop to listen to music, organize my chaotic mp3 library, view, store and edit photos, surf the web, watch videos.
I also just got a Nokia E71x, and it syncs quite nicely with MS office what office package gives me the best hope of doing the same with Linux?

I want a gorgeous window manager that gives quite a bit of eye candy but doesn't slow down my pc much. Should I try out Enlightenment? Which I believe should be out this Christmas. Thanks for all of your opinions.

Here are the specs of my laptop, I may end up going with 8 GB in the near future.
Intel Core 2 Solo Processor SU3500 1.40GHz, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM Memory; 14.0" WXGA high-brightness (200-nit) TFT Display; 320GB Hard Drive; Super-Multi drive; Windows Vista Home Premium.
The beautifully crafted Aspire 4810 - one of Acer's new Timeline Series of energy-conscious notebooks - proudly features lower power consumption for long-lasting, energy-efficient portability. Made for truly modern mobile work and play, this full-featured yet affordable 14" notebook is less than 1" thin at its lowest point, weighs 4.2 lb. and packs at least eight hours* of earth-friendly battery life.
Specifications:
Intel Core 2 Solo Processor SU3500 (3MB L2 cache, 1.40GHz, 800MHz FSB)
4GB (2/2) DDR3 1066 SDRAM
Acer CineCrystal 14.0" WXGA (1366 x 768)high-brightness (200-nit) TFT display with 16:9 aspect ratio and LED backlight
Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD (64MB dedicated memory, up 1695MB shared system memory)
320GB hard drive
Integrated variable-speed Super-Multi drive:
5-in-1 card reader for optional MultiMediaCard, Secure Digital card, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO or xD-Picture Card
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD
802.11a/b/g/Draft-N WLAN, gigabit LAN
Webcam
Interface Ports: DC-in; RJ-45 LAN; VGA;
Headphones/speaker/line-out with SPDIF support; Microphone
HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) with HDCP (high-bandwidth digital-content protection); Three USB 2.0
Windows Vista Home Premium
Dimensions & Weight: 13.32" (338.4mm) W x 9.44" (240.0mm) D x 0.94" – 1.13” (24.0mm – 28.9mm) H; 4.2lb. (1.9kg)

osabr22000
November 10th, 2009, 07:02 AM
Any ideas as to which distros come with E16 or E17 standard?