PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Notification area alternatives

sigurnjak
November 8th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Are there any Notification area alternatives? Reason i am asking is that i like to have only one large panel and notification icons are huge.What i would like is to have them in 2 rows like quick-lounge-applet can do .

[]Milo
November 13th, 2009, 08:09 AM
Looks like KDE? Sorry, you can tell by the beans I'm not too familiar.

As an alternative to having the notification area take up space on my main panel (I use only one panel in Gnome and its usually the first thing i set up with a fresh install) I created a second panel on the right side which holds ONLY the notification area applet, and shrinks to fit it. But...

1: The notification area icons don't scale so I have the opposite problem: the icons are tiny. I would love to have them the same relative size as yours

2: Some panel icons display with a dark background (Drapes, Twinkle) when others follow the preferences I set for the panel (transparent)

3. Icon alignment is ummm.. a bit wonky.

What applications use the notification area seems to be random but they are for the most part useful, and most apps give you a preference as to whether or not they appear.

Maybe this works better in KDE?

The top panel, side (notification) panel and gnome-do in docky mode all auto hide, pic below

sigurnjak
November 14th, 2009, 06:08 AM
Well by the beans you can see i am noob too!:p
Also , i am using Gnome DE in karmic . Since you liked my icon size here is link for my theme downloa d. It is nothing special , i just tweaked it myself so it may not look so hot .

http://uploading.com/files/89maa8e9/theme.tar.gz/

I hope it helps you to accomplish look you are after .

[]Milo
November 24th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Thanks! will play...