PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Reports of GRUB2 problems putting me off installing 9.10

thered
November 8th, 2009, 02:14 PM
I want to put 9.10 Ubuntu on my new laptop - Acer 5738z. I've already made a posting about partitioning and losing the restore partition but got no replies.

I think what's really putting me off though is all the posts about GRUB2 'problems'.

The laptop is running ******* 7 64bit and I want to leave it on and set it to dual boot with Karmic. (As I have with other versions of Ubuntu/GRUB on 4 other units without problems)

So, should I worry? or go ahead with the install?

Are there 'real' problems with GRUB2?

encrypter
November 8th, 2009, 02:37 PM
The "grub problem" results in your system becoming unbootable, and it's very much real. So if that worries you then you really should hold off with upgrading.

old_salt
November 8th, 2009, 03:20 PM
The "grub problem" results in your system becoming unbootable, and it's very much real. So if that worries you then you really should hold off with upgrading.

I disagree. Only issue I had was mine didn't show the other OS loaded on my system until I performed an Update at which point everything was fine.

My heartache with Grub2 is the attempt to making the boot process graphical which has lengthened boot times significantly - at least double. I believe the Dev's should have passed this one by for now and left well enough alone until Grub2 had matured.

thered
November 8th, 2009, 03:31 PM
until I performed an Update

Could you please expand on this old_salt.

thered
November 11th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Well after some heart-searching and an exchange of PMs with Old_Salt I went for an install this morning.:D

30mins later I have a fully working dual-boot system. Even my restore partition still works, something it never did on my Dell installations.\\:D/

Totally painless.

Thanks to Old_salt for the info.