PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu on USB - How to remove the "try ubuntu menu"?

moody_mark
November 8th, 2009, 01:55 PM
I used the utility "usb-creator" to install and ubuntu image onto a stick, which seems to work ok, its just like using the live CD except that you can change settings and they stay changed.

I noticed though that I still have to go through the "choose a language" menu and the "try without installing to your computer" menus. Is there any way to skip these and just boot like a normal installation? I used a Fedora usb install and that worked like this with a auto login.

mlentink
November 8th, 2009, 03:08 PM
You have just exchanged the cd for a USB stick, but you're still running the 'LiveCD'.
Why don't you install it on a USB-drive? Just be sure to use a big enough stick, or better: USB-drive.

moody_mark
November 8th, 2009, 04:05 PM
You have just exchanged the cd for a USB stick, but you're still running the 'LiveCD'.
Why don't you install it on a USB-drive?

Thats what I suspected but wasnt sure. So two questions on that;
1. Whats the idea of usb-creator?
2. If I install it on the USB drive and I have a intel wireless card on the PC, and then I take the USB drive out and use it to run on another machine with a different wireless card will it still work?

MelDJ
November 8th, 2009, 04:08 PM
usb-creator makes the pendrive a cd. just like burning a .iso to a cd.
see: http://www.pendrivelinux.com/ for ways to do a persistent install