PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installed Ubuntu 9.1 destroyed my Laptop

pandurang_m
November 8th, 2009, 01:49 PM
I installed Ubuntu 9.10 on my Laptop and installed updates and Nvidia drivers after that within few hours the screen got scrambled and laptop crashed and nothing is working now. Whenever I turn on my Laptop screen looks scrambled and freezes. I removed ubuntu and installed Vista and problem is not solved I THINK UBUNTU TOTALLY DESTROYED MY LAPTOP AND NOTHING IS WORKING NOW....What to do??? I tried to reinstall Ubuntu but the Live CD is booting and when I select Install Option screen freezes and I get different types of lines vertical and horizontal of all colours....What happened to my Laptop?

Deicider
November 8th, 2009, 01:58 PM
sounds bad.
So what do u mean?
When u load vista after it reaches desktop it freezes?

Menthu_Rae
November 8th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Your laptop with an Nvidia G84 (guessing here) GPU died at roughly the same time as you installed Ubuntu? :p

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-geforce-faulty-defect-gpu,7795.html

http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/10/all-nvidia-8400m-8600m-chips-faulty/

I really doubt that ubuntu is the culprit here. More likely your GPU has failed in your laptop and is most likely a G84 unit suffering from the solder-pad issues. ;)

Check the specs of your laptop very carefully (noting what model GPU it is) and then have a think about whether Ubuntu really destroyed your system or not... ):P

dox_drum
November 8th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Perhaps the time of changing your set up has come!

Don't think it was neither Linux nor Windows, should be hardware.

pandurang_m
November 8th, 2009, 02:51 PM
I bought my laptop 2 years back and it was working fine till I installed Ubuntu 9.10

pandurang_m
November 8th, 2009, 02:54 PM
My Laptop Model HP DV9222TX with GeForce Go 7600

Sealbhach
November 8th, 2009, 03:25 PM
It sounds like your graphics card has died. I don't think it's very likely that Ubuntu is to blame, it just happened at that time. Are you still in warranty?

hal10000
November 8th, 2009, 04:09 PM
My Laptop Model HP DV9222TX with GeForce Go 7600

Here (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=1842189&lang=en&docname=c01300427#c01300427_dv92)

you can find out the warranty issues for your laptop

pandurang_m
November 9th, 2009, 06:57 AM
Laptop is not under warranty so can I replace the Graphics card in Laptop...or what I need to replace to rectify the graphics problem in Laptop of HP DV9222TX Nvidia GeForce Go 7600

pandurang_m
November 10th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Can I change graphics card in my Laptop???

MelDJ
November 10th, 2009, 08:56 AM
Can I change graphics card in my Laptop???

ask the shop you bought it from

dbzkid
November 11th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Mind me if I sound ignorant, but if you bought it retail they arn't going to fix it, they are going to tell you to go through their repair service so they can send it back to HP or tell you that you have to send it back to hp. Depending on how much it costs you need to either send it directly to hp, go to a repair shop (not geeksquad or easytech they will overcharge) and ask them how much is it to replace a gfxcard and give them your modle (also make sure that they don't do a diagnostic because they will charge). Or just get a new laptop if those two options are too expensive.

noelvh
November 11th, 2009, 01:47 PM
As a PC tech I see this happen all the time. I will also say I think HP makes the worst systems out there. They have a great product (system specs, and software) but the quality is very poor. I can say the same for Dell.

And another thing with HP/Compaq the number of solder issues out there is lager. They use a clod solder method that breaks down over time, with all the heat that a laptop makes.

I have been dealing with laptop for the last 7 years, and one of the big things to go is the Video card.

If you spend allot on a laptop get the 3 year plan for service.

I for on am sorry this has happened to you but do not feel it was Ubuntu.

Noel

fela
November 11th, 2009, 01:56 PM
An operating system cannot ruin your graphics card. Even if you'd installed Ubuntu and at the exact moment of installation/bootup the GPU failed, it would not have been ubuntu. Pure coincedence as software can't break graphics cards, unless the GPU/VRAM has cooling issues - in which case it would be a hardware issue to begin with that always needed fixing.