PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Downgrade to Jaunty possible?

qwerty57
November 8th, 2009, 01:03 PM
As I mentioned in another post, I'm giving up on Karmic Koala. In addition to the sound problem my computer crashes every 20 minutes or so, plus the recovery mode doesn't work correctly.

I still have my initial Jackalop Boot disk. Can I reinstall over Karmic Koala? Is there anyway to save my documents, pictures, installed programs etc?

TIA

madverb
November 8th, 2009, 01:09 PM
backup your home folder.

qwerty57
November 8th, 2009, 01:47 PM
I'll have to get a bigger thumbdrive before I try doing it. I've got almost 10G in my Home Folder!

I have dual boot - Win XP & Ubuntu, will I have to repartition my drives or can I chose to overwrite the current installation? Has anyone tried this before?

slakkie
November 8th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Hi, create a seperate slice for your homedirs, see http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/separatehome for instructions.

This will prevent needing to backup your home when you want to reinstall Ubuntu (or any other Linux distro).

You can overwrite your current installation, just make sure you format the partition first.

qwerty57
November 8th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Thanks, I took a look at the link & with those directions and a clean boot disc I should be set to go!

raymondh
November 8th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Thanks, I took a look at the link & with those directions and a clean boot disc I should be set to go!

still a good idea to back-up those 10GB (personal files) elsewhere before moving your /home into a separate partition.... and re-installing jaunty.