PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Grub 1.97 takes too long to load

Noiano
November 8th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Hello everyone,
I have installed Ubuntu 9.10 (clean install) and I have notice an unusual delay when loading grub.
With previous version there was allmost no delay from the moment in which "loading grub" was displayed and the appearence of the menu with all the bootable entries.
Now ten seconds pass from the "loading grub" notification to the grub menu.

Why I wonder...it's just me?

Thanks

b.bhargav
November 26th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Hello everyone,
I have installed Ubuntu 9.10 (clean install) and I have notice an unusual delay when loading grub.
With previous version there was allmost no delay from the moment in which "loading grub" was displayed and the appearence of the menu with all the bootable entries.
Now ten seconds pass from the "loading grub" notification to the grub menu.

Why I wonder...it's just me?

Thanks

Even I'm having similar problem after upgrading to GRUB 1.97

JackCorbae
December 26th, 2009, 02:48 AM
10 Seconds? Mine takes over a minute - fresh install of Ubuntu 9.10 64bit and the only thing that I can think of is that it has something to do with the fact I have a mirrored SATA boot disk and a single smaller SATA disk which is where Ubuntu wanted to put Grub but the BIOS has the mirrored drive as the boot disk.

When I moved grub onto the mirrored drive, after much messing about, it worked but is unbelievably slow.

oldfred
December 26th, 2009, 06:28 AM
Do you have multiple drives and many partitions with operating systems? Grub needs to be on the same drive as the ubuntu install. It sped up my boot by about 20 seconds. I have 3 drives, 4 systems and many partitions.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub2/+bug/420933
Slow boot, multi drives, known issue, move boot to same drive & adjust BIOS
sudo dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc

AlexMinsk
May 29th, 2010, 08:57 AM
Do you have multiple drives and many partitions with operating systems? Grub needs to be on the same drive as the ubuntu install. It sped up my boot by about 20 seconds. I have 3 drives, 4 systems and many partitions.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub2/+bug/420933
Slow boot, multi drives, known issue, move boot to same drive & adjust BIOS
sudo dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc

Can you please explain in details?
I've tried the command, but it didn't help

wilee-nilee
May 29th, 2010, 10:17 AM
Can you please explain in details?
I've tried the command, but it didn't help

If you really need help start a new thread. ;) This one is 6 months old, and you need to explain the OS your running and what your problems are, this slow boot from grub-pc is not happening now, but this doesn't mean that you may have problems.