PDA

View Full Version : A trip to Lowes

qalimas
February 17th, 2006, 04:29 PM
We're rodoing my house, and today I had off school so I went with my mom get a new toilet... ok, who cares, but, I glance at their computers, and I see KDE running.. looked like a 2.x version, pretty ugly, but I recognized it in an instance. If I'm not mistaken, the cash register computers run on either Unix or DOS... my guess is probably FreeDOS since the other computers are some form of Linux and open source.

Just thought it was pretty cool to see it in the workplace in action.

mstlyevil
February 17th, 2006, 05:27 PM
We're rodoing my house, and today I had off school so I went with my mom get a new toilet... ok, who cares, but, I glance at their computers, and I see KDE running.. looked like a 2.x version, pretty ugly, but I recognized it in an instance. If I'm not mistaken, the cash register computers run on either Unix or DOS... my guess is probably FreeDOS since the other computers are some form of Linux and open source.

Just thought it was pretty cool to see it in the workplace in action.

You would be amazed at the number of businesses that use Unix/Linux in some form or another. It is actually pretty common.

fuscia
February 17th, 2006, 05:39 PM
yup, i've always pictured lowes as being more kde, while home depot seems more a gnome crowd.

Stereotypical Rage
February 17th, 2006, 05:47 PM
I work for a Dial-Up ISP in the US. We use some Debian variant. I don't know what it is as I'm just an "average" employee. I get yelled at for running "top". :p

Funny thing is we don't support Linux for our customers. We support Windows and Mac only.

Edit: Fixed smiley.

equal
February 17th, 2006, 06:35 PM
Man, I'd *love* to have Linux running here. I don internet tech support too, and seriously half the stations on the floor have Spyware issues that make them almost inoperable. If my company would realise that it would cost them less to switch to Linux than to upgrade EVERY station to Win XP... wow.

Stereotypical Rage
February 17th, 2006, 08:01 PM
These machines are Dell Optiplex GX1 Shells that boot off the Network using NFS.

In the past we used Flash7, but there's some memory leak or something with it, so we stopped using it.

I don't think it'd cost less initially to start, but in the long run it might. Most people don't know how to secure Linux and try to run it like they would Windows.

Lovechild
February 17th, 2006, 08:23 PM
yup, i've always pictured lowes as being more kde, while home depot seems more a gnome crowd.

Which explains why I like Home Depot

YourSurrogateGod
February 17th, 2006, 09:59 PM
I once went to a barber shop in Regensburg, they always had Linux running on their desktop in order to keep track of business transactions and such.

TechSonic
February 17th, 2006, 10:09 PM
I once went to a barber shop in Regensburg, they always had Linux running on their desktop in order to keep track of business transactions and such.

Same with a barber shop in Kearney Nebraska. They got 2 computers that run as registers and they run Linux + GNU Cash + some program they use for transactions.

bored2k
February 17th, 2006, 10:14 PM
Recently, I was happy to see a monitor with GDM on my Microsoft-infested college. Heck, after becoming friends with a teacher/maintainer, he admitted to me that although Microsoft pays for almost everything with a cable and the need for software there, they still use Solaris and a few unix boxes. Happy :).