PDA

View Full Version : Good Document Management System?

Roman27
February 17th, 2006, 04:03 PM
This isn't really Ubuntu related, I hope that's ok. :)

I am a member of several small voluntee committees. In each of these committees there is a similar problem. We keep losing important documents. Since the committees are small and the member turn-over is high, the committee finds itself in a predicament where we have no idea what happens to the electronic copies of our files. Sometimes previous members still have them on their home computers and are willing to send us the file. Sometimes the file is just gone.

Many of these committees have informational web sites that they run. Is there a script that can be installed on a Linux web host to help keep track of these documents? It needs to be easy enough for non-technical users to work with it. It also needs to have some sort of versioning system so that the documents could be tracked and won't be overwritten by another committee member. Permission controls would be nice, but not always necessary for such small committees.

I initially thought a collaboration tool might be nice, but I think that is overkill. I doubt the non-technical members would use it. It would just be nice to have a common area for the committee to store files relating to the committee work, such as meeting agendas, minutes of the meetings, committee principles or declarations, etc...

Thanks for any suggestions.

earobinson
February 17th, 2006, 04:06 PM
I think writely would be the perfet thing for you guys
http://www.writely.com/

that or cvs but cvs is a bit harder to use.

briancurtin
February 17th, 2006, 06:58 PM
Svn > Cvs