PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Xubuntu problems after install

Futto
November 8th, 2009, 03:32 AM
Hi,

Up until now my Linux experience has been pretty negative (it never detected any hardware correctly, was hard to use), however I recently installed Xubuntu 9.10 on my netbook as was very impressed with speed, hardware detection etc.

So I decided to give it ago on my main PC.

The installation went fine, and I logged in for the first time OK. The only thing was the screen resolution was too low (not the native one for the laptop LCD). I changed my screen resolution to the correct one (in Applications->Settings->Display) and turned on my second monitor to see if it would appear (which it didn't). I then rebooted.

Now, if I try and login it plays the sparkly cloud animation and then the screen flickers. It then plays the sparkly cloud animation again and takes me back to the login screen.

Has anyone got any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks!

Futto
November 11th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Sorry guys, removing Xubuntu. Will try Linux again in the future and hope its improved.

Take care and good luck.

excalq
November 11th, 2009, 07:44 PM
I'm dealing with this same problem (I think), with an Xubuntu on my friend's old laptop (Thead here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8295051#post8295051)

If I get that resolved, I can let you know.

I will say that my experience with standard Ubuntu has been terrific, much better than with Xubuntu. Standard Ubuntu is more polished, but also oriented towards newer hardware. If you do have a relatively recent system (over 1G memory, basically), I'd definitely recommend trying it.

Futto
November 11th, 2009, 08:21 PM
If I get that resolved, I can let you know.

Cool, thanks! I will monitor this thread. The only thing is mine broke after changing the screen resolution but I don't think it downloaded any updates.

I will say that my experience with standard Ubuntu has been terrific, much better than with Xubuntu. Standard Ubuntu is more polished, but also oriented towards newer hardware. If you do have a relatively recent system (over 1G memory, basically), I'd definitely recommend trying it.

My system has Turion 64 1.6GHz, 2GB Memory, ATi Radeon Xpress graphics. The thing I liked about Xubuntu was the speed of it on the netbook, especially booting up and shutting down. I guess Ubuntu is slower? Also, previously Ubuntu really hated my laptop and wireless and stuff didn't work (however this was in 2007).

Thanks for your reply!

dummiebeginner
November 12th, 2009, 06:10 AM
I am in the same boat. Ubuntu is too slow and heavy in my laptop and Xubuntu has looked impressive when I have tried it from the LiveUSB. Much much faster and now also has a nice design and icons too, so I installed it and got exactly the same problem. Flickering black screen asking for a login and then nothing. I reinstalled and again the same problem. I am writing now from Xubuntu but from the LiveUSB uninstalled.

I want to give Xubuntu a chance because any big Linux distro is definetely too slow in my laptop. Plus these last Ubuntu/Xubuntu have improved a lot the fonts and now look much better in general.

dummiebeginner
November 12th, 2009, 07:45 AM
Try this http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1315319

Futto
November 16th, 2009, 12:21 AM
I did a really stupid thing. I plugged the second monitor into my Xubuntu netbook (which was working fine) and now it's doing exactly the same thing.

I'll try the posts here, but maybe if it doesn't work I'll try installing Windows 7.

The monitor is an LG Flatron. Has anyone got any more suggestions? :(

Thanks!

Futto
November 16th, 2009, 12:41 AM
Also the Netbook is a standard first generation Acer Aspire One.

Please help if you can!! Thanks!