PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu: The OS for me?

JayGibson
November 8th, 2009, 03:03 AM
Hello:

My first post:

My main interest is in video files (almost exclusively film) and some digital audio. These are my focuses along with some minor internet usage the run of the mill stuff, e.g. forums. I not a gamer. I simply want an operating system for a mostly devoted 'multimedia' pc .

I bought the HP e9120y in September, it has an on board Blu-ray ROM and I have some decent software for watching digital files I download, burning, ripping, viewing BD, etc. My pc came with Vistya and I have recently received my 'Win 7 Upgrade' but for philosophical and hopefully practical reasons, would just as soon shitcan the HP and Microsoft bloatware. So, will Ubuntu be the way to go?

Advice would be very appreciated!
jay Gibson

skyiscrying
November 8th, 2009, 07:20 AM
I found that there were no free codecs in XP, Vista, or Windows 7 to watch video files. It is different in the last couple of Ubuntu flavours I have tried. And Zenwalk too. I mainly use Movie Player and you do need to install the gstreamer codecs from the Ubuntu Software Centre as it called now in Karmic.

JayGibson
November 8th, 2009, 08:19 PM
My PC came with the ATI Radeon HD 4350 card. I am wondering how that will work out with Ubuntu.

Can't I just install it alongside windows to 'choose at startup' and take it for test drive? I have it burned to cd. Then I could check for drivers as well as check its video/multimedia savvy?

marc.verwerft
November 8th, 2009, 09:41 PM
My PC came with the ATI Radeon HD 4350 card. I am wondering how that will work out with Ubuntu.

Can't I just install it alongside windows to 'choose at startup' and take it for test drive? I have it burned to cd. Then I could check for drivers as well as check its video/multimedia savvy?

When installing Ubuntu (and derivatives) you get too choose on which drive/partition to put it all. It's perfectly doable to free up enough space and have them run alongside each other.
You could also try out virtualbox and see what that gives. It won't be as fast, but you'll have a decent impression of what Ubuntu (and probably mediabuntu) can do for you.

Loads of tips to be found on how to install Win... and linux on the same box.

Regards,

Marc