PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] login without need to type "startx"

akhe
November 8th, 2009, 02:40 AM
please can someone tell me how (if) is possible to boot to console instead of graphical login, to just write username and password and it will automatically startx (without need to type "startx") ??? thank you!

falconindy
November 8th, 2009, 03:45 AM
If you append "text" to the kernel line in your grub config, you'll get a text based login. Create $HOME/.xinitrc with a single line "exec gnome-session". Edit your .bashrc to add a line to the end: "[[ `pgrep Xorg` ]] || startx".

However, there is one problem with this solution: you cannot logout back to the prompt. Ubuntu blindly expects GDM to be running and just leaves you with a blank desktop waiting for the non-existant GDM to take over. Perhaps a bug?

akhe
November 8th, 2009, 05:24 AM
However, there is one problem with this solution: you cannot logout back to the prompt. Ubuntu blindly expects GDM to be running and just leaves you with a blank desktop waiting for the non-existant GDM to take over. Perhaps a bug?

before I will try to do this config, I must ask this question: what exactly is that problem???
It will make no possibility to logout, or shutdown? or? sorry, I dont understand english so much... thanks

falconindy
November 8th, 2009, 06:26 AM
You cannot log out from GNOME back to the console. But, I'm not sure why you would do this because (if you could) as soon you log in at the console, you'll be back in GNOME.

If you're the only user on this computer and you ignore the 'log out' button in Gnome, this solution works.

I'm interested to see if anything becomes of my bug report (https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/478019) regarding this.