PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] lose window borders?

windowsfree
November 8th, 2009, 01:03 AM
Why is it I lose my window borders when I change my desktop effects from none to advanced? I lose the ability to minimize open windows when I have that on. I noticed also, my compiz settings don't always save. I was showing some one the rotating cube effect and when I powered on my computer at a later time, my desktop cube and all the settings were unchecked. I have attached a screenshot of the open window with the border missing. I do have the window decorations box checked in the compiz settings.
Thanks to all that respond

Abhijit Navale
February 1st, 2010, 06:06 AM
Hey, You mark this thread as SOLVED.
But where is the solution?

I also have the very same problem.
Please let me know if you have any solution?

Leshrac
February 1st, 2010, 01:21 PM
Hey, You mark this thread as SOLVED.
But where is the solution?

I also have the very same problem.
Please let me know if you have any solution?I don't know if this will solve your problem but the desktop effects FAQ states:

Where did my window borders go? - cc7gir

This is a common mistake caused by disabling some plugins in CompizConfig Settings Manager. To fix, open the manager (System > Preferences > CompizConfig Settings Manager) and find the "Window Decorations" plugin. Check the box and you're all set.

Linux God
February 1st, 2010, 05:19 PM
The problem is you are not using compiz, you are probably using metacity.
To fix this, open a terminal and type gconf-editor. then navigate to
apps > general > Metacity > general. then unclick the compositing_manager box. pm me if this doesent work. or just post in the forum here.

Abhijit Navale
February 5th, 2010, 05:07 PM
I am not using metacity.
I am using compiz

Linux God
February 5th, 2010, 05:33 PM
Did you install anythng that might change the graphics? such as Mac4Lin?
If not install Compiz fusion icon. run it by going into applications > system tools > compiz fusion icon, then it will appear in the top-right of the your upper panel(by default) then right click the icon, then hit compositing manager and switch between compiz and metacity and see which works

Abhijit Navale
February 5th, 2010, 06:55 PM
Did you install anythng that might change the graphics? such as Mac4Lin?
NO
Not Mac4Lin
But some windows borders, icon themes, wallpapers using "Art Manager"
...and also some more softwares but (I think) they are not directly related to graphics. (e.g. Istanbul Desktop Session Recorder, etc.)

If not install Compiz fusion icon. run it by going into applications > system tools > compiz fusion icon, then it will appear in the top-right of the your upper panel(by default) then right click the icon, then hit compositing manager and switch between compiz and metacity and see which works
After doing this, by default compiz was selected, so I selected metacity, but the problem remains as it is - i.e. not opening "Computer"

And thnx Leshrac (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=47687), it was my one of many problems and It solved :) , but other are still there :| .