PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Kubuntu (Unsure of how to find Version)

Saito Chikara
November 7th, 2009, 11:55 PM
So, anyways, i downloaded and installed the, I presume, newest version of Kubuntu, and I was trying to figure out how to install BitDefender (BitDefender-Antivirus-Scanner-7.6-4.linux-gcc4x.amd64.deb.run) and I was at a complete loss as to how to do so. I'm not really adept at coding, but I'm fed up with Windows, and too poor to afford a Mac. So, can anyone help me?

Oh, when i try to do a

"sudo dpkg" command on it, it keeps telling me that I need Superuser Privileges. How do I get that? I'm the only user on this computer, and I'm using the account I made on install, so I'm at a loss. (Still used to the windows interface.)

I also used the tutorial at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InstallingRunPackage and still, get the superuser message.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

~Saito

stlsaint
November 8th, 2009, 12:02 AM
in terminal become root:

sudo -i

enter your password, it will not show any characters but enter it anyway and push enter, then try and run cmd.

Saito Chikara
November 8th, 2009, 12:26 AM
tried that too. Still I get the Superuser message.

coffeecat
November 8th, 2009, 12:38 AM
I think you need to post exactly what you typed into the terminal when you got the superuser message, and post the exact and complete message about superuser privileges.

I'm mystified because if you use sudo in a terminal and type your password in correctly, you gain superuser (root) privileges. Also if you type 'sudo -i' as stisaint suggested, the terminal prompt will change from a '$' to a '#', signifying that you now have root privileges and you should exercise care. (You can completely destroy a system with very little effort once you gain root powers.)

You might find this useful:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

Edit: just remembered about that bitdefender package which is a bit odd. You can't use dpkg with it. Make sure you've made it executable as instructed in that link you gave. Now open a terminal and cd to the directory where you've stored the BitDefender*.run package. Now:

sudo -i

Put your password in. Now:

./BitDefender-Antivirus-Scanner-7.6-4.linux-gcc4x.amd64.deb.run

I've copied and pasted BitDefender from your post. It has to be exactly right - no uppercase/lowercase substitutions - Linux is case sensitive. The easiest way is to type './BitD', followed by the tab key and it will autocomplete. Press enter and the package should autorun with root powers.

Saito Chikara
November 8th, 2009, 12:43 AM
I just lost the tutorial page I was using...

I am pretty sure I went

sudo -s

sudo -i BitDefender-Antivirus-Scanner-7.6-4.linux-gcc4x.amd64.deb.run

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that was close. I hate it when Konqueror crashes and I loose my tabs...

EDIT-

How do I Change Directories? I believe the file is on the desktop..

coffeecat
November 8th, 2009, 12:52 AM
sudo -i BitDefender-Antivirus-Scanner-7.6-4.linux-gcc4x.amd64.deb.run

That won't work. First you need to do 'sudo -i' <enter> and put in your password to get root powers. And then you need to run the *run package prefixed with './' - see my edit to my last post. You have to be in the same directory as the package, and the './' tells the bash shell that you're running a script in the same directory.

Edit:

EDIT-

How do I Change Directories? I believe the file is on the desktop..

cd Desktop

Saito Chikara
November 8th, 2009, 12:57 AM
That won't work. First you need to do 'sudo -i' <enter> and put in your password to get root powers. And then you need to run the *run package prefixed with './' - see my edit to my last post. You have to be in the same directory as the package, and the './' tells the bash shell that you're running a script in the same directory.

Edit:

cd Desktop
root@Kubuntu1:~# cd desktop
-bash: cd: desktop: No such file or directory

I'm sorry for being such a n00b and not knowing what the hell I'm doing, letalone doing wrong...

jacksaff
November 8th, 2009, 01:10 AM
Since you have now become the root user you need to cd to /home/YOUR(NOT ROOT)USERNAME/Desktop to get to where you have the file.
It's easier and better to cd to the correct directory first as a normal user and just run the one command as root using sudo.

cd Des [TAB] [RETURN]
ls [RETURN] (will tell you the contents of the directory so you can check you're in the correct place)
sudo ./BitD [TAB] read the command line and check it's correct before hitting [RETURN]

Saito Chikara
November 8th, 2009, 01:22 AM
cd /home/*****/Desktop
*****@Kubuntu1:~$ cd /home/*****/Desktop
*****@Kubuntu1:~/Desktop$ sudo -i
[sudo] password for *****:
root@Kubuntu1:~# cd /home/*****/Desktop
root@Kubuntu1:/home/*****/Desktop# ls
BitDefender-Antivirus-Scanner-7.6-4.linux-gcc4x.amd64.deb.run
root@Kubuntu1:/home/*****/Desktop# sudo ./BitDefender-Antivirus-Scanner-7.6-4.linux-gcc4x.amd64.deb.run
sudo: ./BitDefender-Antivirus-Scanner-7.6-4.linux-gcc4x.amd64.deb.run: command not found

Saito Chikara
November 8th, 2009, 02:34 AM
What am I doing wrong? Why isn't it working?

Why isn't there an easy way to get things working?

coffeecat
November 8th, 2009, 10:51 AM
What am I doing wrong?

You used sudo unnecessarily after you had escalated to root with 'sudo -i'. I don't think that will work. Also, did you make the BitDefender*.run file executable? It won't work if it isn't executable. This was described in the link that you gave in your first post.

In retrospect the suggestion to use sudo -i was unfortunate, because that lands you up in root's directory and you have to navigate back to your own desktop as jacksaff describes - which complicates things. Try this, four steps using 'sudo su' instead of 'sudo -i' and I've included a terminal command to get that file executable just in case.

cd Desktop
sudo su
chmod +x BitDefender-Antivirus-Scanner-7.6-4.linux-gcc4x.amd64.deb.run
./BitDefender-Antivirus-Scanner-7.6-4.linux-gcc4x.amd64.deb.run

Saito Chikara
November 8th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Seems to be working until i finish the EULA... It seems I have the wrong version for my PC. :/ Downloading the other version and hoping it works.

EDIT

Downloaded the i586 package and it seems to be running now. Thank you so much! I'm compiling a text document with all these commands so when I go to install this stuff on my wife's laptop, it'll all be good.

Thanks so much!

SOLVED