PDA

View Full Version : Google to make browser useing Mozilla technology

BWF89
January 29th, 2005, 06:35 PM
If the browser were made open source I'd give this a try in a heartbeat.

http://www.searchenginejournal.com/index.php?p=1274

rudi
January 29th, 2005, 06:42 PM
Great news!

Looks like the chess pieces are being set up strategically...

akurashy
January 29th, 2005, 07:01 PM
the news is kinda old they say that google hired some java developers and microsoft one to make google browser =/

TravisNewman
January 29th, 2005, 07:02 PM
I haven't heard about Java and Microsoft employees being hired, but I do know that two higher-up Mozilla developers have been hired by google

BWF89
January 29th, 2005, 07:38 PM
Well, this had better be make open source or I'm not contaminating my hard drive with it..

Oh wait, it allready has Window$ on it. Sure, I guess I'll give it a try :D ...

machiner
January 29th, 2005, 08:02 PM
This rumor started and dies already. Almost 2 months ago.

WHy would google make a browser?

The only reason I can think of would be to profit on end-user's information, whether private or not.

Google is starting to smell lika just another corporate pig.

Their corporate motto is supposed to be "Don't be evil"

Whatever.

rudi
January 29th, 2005, 08:11 PM
The only reason I can think of would be to profit on end-user's information, whether private or not.
Wasn't that the whole idea about the "google bar TM (R)"

I totally agree with you about the corporate thing, they are on the stock market now. And you can give google money to get your site higher on the list, they have sponsered links..... A lot of people rely on google and expect it to give only relevant honest hits, and not hits because they get payed to list them. Google is more powerfull then seen at first sight (cool, did i just described a conspiracy theory? :p)

but, if they could take a share of IE's part that's fine by me, the more the better actually.

Rogee
January 29th, 2005, 08:37 PM
I don't see the point of making another browser based off Mozilla. Seems like another Netscape to me. Who knows, maybe they'll have some revolutionary features.

carlc
January 29th, 2005, 08:45 PM

Google is starting to smell lika just another corporate pig.

I agree. I like google's search engine and I like gmail. However, google does seem too interested in end-user's information.

BWF89
January 29th, 2005, 08:57 PM
I agree. I like google's search engine and I like gmail. However, google does seem too interested in end-user's information.
What do you guys mean by end-users information?

akurashy
January 29th, 2005, 09:13 PM
well i guess soon they going to do something like paypal to get in the big games =/

Jad
January 29th, 2005, 10:33 PM
Good news, Goozill News!

Lynx
January 29th, 2005, 11:01 PM
Google is unstoppable. I am waiting for them to start developing desktop applications. Maybe a quality company can finally give M$ a run for their money.

BWF89
January 29th, 2005, 11:11 PM
Google is unstoppable. I am waiting for them to start developing desktop applications. Maybe a quality company can finally give M$ a run for their money.
That would be awesome!

EDIT: I hope their desktop search beta isn't any indication of what their future products will be like though...

machiner
January 29th, 2005, 11:12 PM
Google began to officially suck:
November 13, 2003

BWF89
January 29th, 2005, 11:24 PM
Not for 56 kayers...
http://www.broom.org/epic/

akurashy
January 29th, 2005, 11:32 PM
soon we going to see GoogOS another os that replace windows :-"

carlc
January 30th, 2005, 12:04 AM
Google products are as good at indexing your pc and email as their search engine is the web.

CowPie
January 30th, 2005, 01:18 AM
If the browser were made open source I'd give this a try in a heartbeat.

http://www.searchenginejournal.com/index.php?p=1274

Eww. I'm glad Firefox is open source os I can get it from other sources at least...

DirtDawg
January 30th, 2005, 11:49 AM
Not for 56 kayers...
http://www.broom.org/epic/

No...I didn't like this. The authors seem to assume benevolence on large corporation's part. It did get me thinking about the direction of media, but I think this idea is hooey. I'm not sure what people are asking for is a tailored truth of some kind, though that's an admittingly arguable point. I mean, if everyone were getting their own "tailored" news stories, no one would be capable of comunication, right?
I also don't think the New York Times is that terribly worried about Google News. After all, for every hit they get from Google, that's more adverti$ing money in their pockets.
Anyway, on a more shallow note, that piece was downright annoying to watch. The music was boring and the images were pointless (why a bunch of twitching logos floating around? Not my idea of stimulating).
Sorry to sound like a grouch. On the positive side, there's definitly food for thought here and I really liked the "Epic" logo alot. Plus, it seems like somebody spent a lot of time on the piece, so props to them for that. =D>

EDIT: Whoa. This is way off topic. Sorry, everybody.

faizan
January 6th, 2006, 08:48 AM
you shouldnt be this fast in delivering criticism. Google rocks. Its been almost a year now since these posts were made. I passed them by and didnt comment on them. As you see now, not only has Google not made their own browser, they pay people to help spread firefox. Yes, its an adsense pay per click campaign. So think wisely. Google Rocks.

P.s. If Google had indeed come out with a browser, I'm sure it would have been "revolutionary". Not just another browser with added functionality. Like Gmail changed the way we think about email, "Googzilla" would have changed the web forever. Peace.

briancurtin
January 6th, 2006, 09:45 AM
i like google like the rest, but you are just too much of a google fanboy, faizan

also, the reason you didnt comment on the year old posts, is because you joined in november

DaMasta
January 6th, 2006, 09:46 AM
i like google like the rest, but you are just too much of a google fanboy, faizan
Exactly what I was thinking. Fanboys are bad, regardless of what they're a fan of.

prizrak
January 6th, 2006, 10:03 AM
I am very suspicious of Google lately, we must remember that it's a public corporation and is out of Brin's and (forget the other dude's name) hands. A legal requirenment for ANY public corporation (yes there can be private ones but I don't wanna go into that) is to maximize owner (stock holder) wealth. Google has to do everything in their power to accomplish that. Personally their hiring of random people from other companies seem to me way too much like MSFT. If Google were to come out with a Mozilla based browser open source or not I wouldn't be too happy since they would effectively destroy Firefox with it.
Google is pretty cool in general but we all must remember they are here to make money and they will do everything in their power to achieve that end, hopefully they will not cross ethical and legal boundaries in doing so.

faizan
January 8th, 2006, 08:01 AM
i understand.. im just fascinated by how people talk so strongly about stuff they have no idea about.. i use to run suse linux and i heard about ubuntu a long time back.. thats when i browsed the forums and i read all the google related posts.. i only started running ubuntu a few months back and thats when i joined the forum.. regardless tho, you know what I'm saying is true.. google hasnt launched their browser.. infact, the google pack service just released has firefox packaged within

BWF89
January 8th, 2006, 02:52 PM
If Google were to come out with a Mozilla based browser open source or not I wouldn't be too happy since they would effectively destroy Firefox with it.
It might take away some of our (9% market share) users but it would probably take alot more users away from Internet Explorer. And if someone is open to useing something other than IE and decide to take a risk and try Google Browser they may also take the same risk and try Firefox or Mozilla/Seamonkey.