PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] installing tar.gz file

jayanramesh
November 7th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Dear buddies,
Whenever I install tar.gz or tar.bz on karmic everything goes right till-./configure then it gives the output after giving the code-make-as"No target specified and no make file found".How can I fix the target to set it right?.

shababhsiddique
November 11th, 2009, 03:40 AM
Dear buddies,
Whenever I install tar.gz or tar.bz on karmic everything goes right till-./configure then it gives the output after giving the code-make-as"No target specified and no make file found".How can I fix the target to set it right?.

Did you tried?

./configure
make
sudo make install
I hope you are in the directory where you extracted .tar.gz . You can jump to the directory using cd commands.
cd /
cd your directory

lswb
November 11th, 2009, 04:17 AM
There is no standard method for installing something from a .tar.gz file. While true that the sequence
./configure
make
make install is very common, it is not universal by any means. The .tar.gz file can include precompiled executable binaries that are istalled by a shell script for instance, or many other installation methods.

After you untar the .tar.gz, look in the newly created directory for a README or INSTALL or other likely named file for instructions. Often there is a website for the software with instructions. If you still have no success, post again naming the specific software you are trying to install and the source where you obtained it.

zhaxnti
November 11th, 2009, 05:00 AM
There is no standard method for installing something from a .tar.gz file. While true that the sequence
./configure
make
make install is very common, it is not universal by any means. The .tar.gz file can include precompiled executable binaries that are istalled by a shell script for instance, or many other installation methods.

After you untar the .tar.gz, look in the newly created directory for a README or INSTALL or other likely named file for instructions. Often there is a website for the software with instructions. If you still have no success, post again naming the specific software you are trying to install and the source where you obtained it.
I agree with Mr.Iswb, you must read the README or INSTALL file,maybe you can find the answer... or you must be install autoconf and automake before you run the configuration...

jayanramesh
November 11th, 2009, 06:58 AM
Thanks to everyone who took pain to furnish me with precious and precise answers.But I tried all without the fruits.I tried installing VLC 1.0.3, tar.gz & audacious-plugins-2.1.tgz and they gave me the warning as "No target specified and no make file found" so how can I proceed further?.