PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 9.10: 32bit flash

iaw4
November 7th, 2009, 08:48 PM
i saw a number of messages related to 64-bit problems. I have a simple 32-bit machine with a 32-bit ubuntu installation. I don't get any flash in firefox---just "Hello, you either have javascript turned off or an old version of adobe's flash player" from youtube. (I did see a couple of complaints about non-working controls in 32bit flash, too, but those people seem to be able to see something. I don't.)

is there a binary 32-bit version of firefox that I can install that has all the adobe prop stuff already installed? I really don't want to have to become a hacker in order to watch a few youtube videos.

sincerely.

/iaw

coffeecat
November 7th, 2009, 09:40 PM
You don't have to be a hacker. With a 32-bit system you won't even have the flash problems that some 64-bit users are still coming across.

The easiest way to get both flash and java is to install the meta-package ubuntu-restricted-extras. Use Synaptic. That will give you other useful multimedia stuff as well, together with the Ms core fonts.

By the way, in a vanilla install of Windows, neither flash or java is installed either.