PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Disappointment with 9.1 release

wilfy100
November 7th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Hi,
I have tried the latest release, 9.10 oct 2009 and I have to report that for me it is unuseable.
I appreciate that other peoples mileage may vary but briefly here is what happened.

IBM laptop pentium 3 mobile about 4 or 5 years old
installed 9.04 all basically fine except cardbus wireless card not recognised. No other issues found.
9.10 would not install from CD (9.04 cd worked perfect). It reported missing files even though the CD worked ok on a desktop pc.
Did an upgrade to 9.1 from 9.04. Multiple serious system errrs reported, due to cardbus wireless card, got wireless working eventually via a usb wireless adapter.
Cured serious error problem by going back to 9.04 version

Desktop pc AMD 64 socket 939 Nvidia chipsetwith built in graphics
Installed from the same disc that would not work in the IBM, install all ok.
Graphic display flickered and glitched every time you did anything (started a program, opened a folder, anything really). Using restricted drivers made no difference.
Although web access worked, networking was 100% non functional. Tried all I could to rectify this (though thats not much, I do not have much experience of linux network configuration)
Did a fresh install of 9.04. Graphics perfect, networking perfect, no issues found.

With the desktop pc I have run Version 8 long term( pretty much since that was released) and it has been 99.99 percent rock solid. Only one error message that disapeared with a reboot and has not returned. Genuinely very impressed.

Conclusion, 9.04 works for me, I will wait for next aprils release and test it on one pc but for now the 9.1 cd is filed at the back of the cuboard.
I hope other people have had a more positive experience.:mad: