PDA

View Full Version : Files? Who needs em!

dragos240
November 7th, 2009, 07:00 PM
I feel as though most of my things are completely useless. Every month or so. I wipe my disk and start again. No reason behind this, it's just fun for me. Most of my stuff is subbed anime, source packages, or japanese songs. Nothing else. but that's just me.

ZankerH
November 7th, 2009, 07:03 PM
I've got about a half a terabyte of movies, shows and anime I'll likely never watch again, but I'm too much of a packrat to delete it. :mad:

PurposeOfReason
November 7th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Space is cheap so I don't really delete things. They don't call it a collection so you can delete it.

SuperSonic4
November 7th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Plus you can try out new filesystems and partition sizes :p

schauerlich
November 7th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Deleting your own files is too easy. I prefer to delete others'. It's a fun challenge.

kpholmes
November 7th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Space is cheap so I don't really delete things

i just picked up a 1TB hard drive for 70 bucks, cant beat that price.

dragos240
November 7th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Deleting your own files is too easy. I prefer to delete others'. It's a fun challenge.

Heheh.

ElSlunko
November 7th, 2009, 07:28 PM
I'm a pack rat too. I do complete reformats every 6 months though (hello ubuntu). Back in time to back up my /home and it restores about 1TB in 3 or 4 hours. I haven't actually timed it.

chris4585
November 7th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Just use an external HDD, or another HDD for files... makes life easier.

hoppipolla
November 7th, 2009, 08:04 PM
lol fair do's man :)

it depends on the person really. I mean I like making websites and doing little internet projects, and so of course I have things on here I don't want to erase. Plus, I love customizing my desktop a little and gradually getting things the way I like them, and if I reinstalled or wiped things I would lose all that too ._.

Everyone's different! :)

la3r
November 7th, 2009, 08:16 PM
I feel as though most of my things are completely useless. Every month or so. I wipe my disk and start again. No reason behind this, it's just fun for me. Most of my stuff is subbed anime, source packages, or japanese songs. Nothing else. but that's just me.

Yeah I know what you mean lol, it's even the same things I have. I just store it on my 500GB external. And then I delete a little now and then to put some new stuff on hehe, theres always about 30-50GB free. :p

blueshiftoverwatch
November 8th, 2009, 03:02 AM
i just picked up a 1TB hard drive for 70 bucks, cant beat that price.
What kind was it? The cheapest I've seen is Samsung's Spinpoint F3, which is supposidly the fastest (http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/storage/2009/10/06/samsung-spinpoint-f3-1tb-review/1) 1TB drive on the market. And it costs about $10-15 more depending on where you buy it.

HappyFeet
November 8th, 2009, 05:10 AM
Just use an external HDD, or another HDD for files... makes life easier.

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner!

kavon89
November 8th, 2009, 05:48 AM
I'm actually quite paranoid about loosing data. I bought a 32GB SSD drive for my laptop for around $80 because they're shock proof and I wouldn't have to bother with backups.

Worked fine for Linux but it became too small for Windows 7 and my new music collection, so now I backup to an external drive.

Tipped OuT
November 8th, 2009, 05:51 AM
"Files? Who needs em!"

I do. 8-[

PurposeOfReason
November 8th, 2009, 06:21 AM
What kind was it? The cheapest I've seen is Samsung's Spinpoint F3, which is supposidly the fastest (http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/storage/2009/10/06/samsung-spinpoint-f3-1tb-review/1) 1TB drive on the market. And it costs about $10-15 more depending on where you buy it.
For a storage drive you don't need it to be the fastest.

blueshiftoverwatch
November 8th, 2009, 12:23 PM
For a storage drive you don't need it to be the fastest.
It does if your buying it to use as your primary drive.

Bölvağur
November 8th, 2009, 01:38 PM
I got about 100 GiB for family videos and about 50GiB for photos on my computer.... Im surely not going to delete those.
Also I have all sort of projects and writings and stuff for various things, songs I've written, essays... etc

you dont have anything?!? Why do you use computer if you dont have any data :S

mwalimu54
November 8th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Files... I've got about 3,500 (without music, videos, and photos) some dating back as far as the late '90s. Believe it or not, I actually still use some of them. Call me a packrat if you like.

Barrucadu
November 8th, 2009, 03:12 PM
I have absolutely no files whatsoever - if you don't count the contents of ~/ and /media/* :P
I don't often delete things. I might just need that random image I found online once that made me laugh at some point in the future…

PurposeOfReason
November 9th, 2009, 06:41 AM
It does if your buying it to use as your primary drive.
Hence why I called it a storage drive. If you're concerned about speed, SSDs are darn cheap for what you get.

Mr. Picklesworth
November 9th, 2009, 07:49 AM
A while ago I realized that I could compress Any File I Wanted. It was a happy day. I freed up an amazing chunk of space just by moving files into tar.gz archives.

CharmyBee
November 9th, 2009, 07:53 AM
Files... I've got about 3,500 (without music, videos, and photos) some dating back as far as the late '90s. Believe it or not, I actually still use some of them. Call me a packrat if you like.
Same here. I image every floppy i've got to convenient IMG files even, and never want to rid of any of them. My biggest file is a big 42GB image file of my older drive that even though i've backed that up on 6 spanned DVD5s already, i'm not going to give the file up. I'm still sorting files on that thing.