PDA

View Full Version : OSX86 Project Shut Down

bonzodog
February 17th, 2006, 12:42 PM
http://forum.osx86project.org/

has been shut down by apple for a DMCA violation.
I'm sorry, but I saw this coming. I have to say it, but if you want OSX in the future, BUY AN APPLE.
or, you could install KDE in Ubuntu and then patch it with the OSX eye candy.
Thoughts people?
:)

WildTangent
February 17th, 2006, 02:32 PM
Quick! Cache the pages!!! :-P

-Wild

patrick295767
February 17th, 2006, 03:41 PM
http://forum.osx86project.org/

has been shut down by apple for a DMCA violation.
I'm sorry, but I saw this coming. I have to say it, but if you want OSX in the future, BUY AN APPLE.
or, you could install KDE in Ubuntu and then patch it with the OSX eye candy.
Thoughts people?
:)

http://www.clubic.com/actualite-32080-mac-os-x-sur-pc-apple-evoque-la-violation-du-dmca.html
(not in English, there is some pictures still)

And this:
"Welcome!

We're sorry to report that despite our best efforts, the OSx86 Project has been served with a DMCA violation notice. The forum will be unavailable while we evaluate its contents to remove any violations present. We thank you for your patience in this matter."

It's only the forum for the moment which is shut down
U may still access the webpages ... http://www.osx86project.org/

PearPC will be used even more in future to get the Mac OS X runnign with less implications for the MAC fan's ...
If you'd like MAC, just try PearPC and go to the MAC shop ...

Greetz'

xequence
February 17th, 2006, 04:11 PM
Oh my...

Just days after maxxuss cracked the newest version of OSX to run on x86 :(

poofyhairguy
February 17th, 2006, 04:36 PM
Apple was pretty sure the newest OSX would not be cracked. When it was, they must have flipped.

BoyOfDestiny
February 17th, 2006, 04:48 PM
Apple was pretty sure the newest OSX would not be cracked. When it was, they must have flipped.

The code:
{
if (noDRM)
end;
else
loadOSX();
}

Just kidding! Anyway, I don't care much for the DMCA or DRM, if you bought software and want to run it elsewhere... you should be able to do so. Something tells me these folks didn't buy it though...

xequence
February 17th, 2006, 05:10 PM

They honestly thought that? o_O

equal
February 17th, 2006, 06:09 PM
...if you bought software and want to run it elsewhere... you should be able to do so. Something tells me these folks didn't buy it though...

Depends on the license you get with the software. Don't forget, Mac OS is not GPL, it's hard to get your head around that when you've been used to Linux and free Win XP cds for a while ;)

quietglow
February 17th, 2006, 10:54 PM
Just as a disclosure, I've had more than a dozen macs since 1984 and I still own one now. I've also spent quite a bit of time at OSX86 project. I own OSX Tiger in two forms: I have an install of 10.4.0 that came with the mini I bought last year and I was given the PPC/Intel install DVD that came with a new iMac a friend bought. So I OWN Tiger in two forms.

Here's the litmus test I've been thinking about. If you or I went into an Apple store and bought a copy of Tiger, went home, got ready to install it and read the EULA and said "No effin' way' do you think apple would take that software back? I don't think they would. That's not a contract, I don't think...that's getting it stuck to you.

Anyway, lest we think this doesn't effect us here, realize that nearly every piece of software run in wine or crossover suffers from the same violation of the DMCA as this case. I can own Tiger but I can't make it run on another platform w/o violating the EULA--and that's the case with most of software out there. That's the basis of M$'s attacks on Wine.

I love to be a real crossplatform kinda guy--tool for each task and all. When it comes down to it though, there is a REALLY SERIOUS difference between OSS and non-OSS. You don't own non-OSS software, and you don't really have control over what you do with it.

This is a big deal, folks.

Bandit
February 17th, 2006, 10:57 PM
I really wish they would open there OS up the the PC world instead of confining it to there hardware.
If they did that I really think it would put a very large dent into M$.
Yea I see it could hurt there hardware sells no doubt.
I think it would be kewl tho.. Hell I would buy it...

Lord Illidan
February 17th, 2006, 11:05 PM
I really wish they would open there OS up the the PC world instead of confining it to there hardware.
I think Apple doesn't want to be an OS for the people. It wants to be an OS associated with fashionable. Otherwise, it would become like Windows, everyone using it.

And their hardware sales would really go down if Mac OSX would run on a normal pc easily.

poofyhairguy
February 17th, 2006, 11:21 PM
And their hardware sales would really go down if Mac OSX would run on a normal pc easily.

Fixed

Lord Illidan
February 17th, 2006, 11:27 PM
Fixed
Edited. ;)

BoyOfDestiny
February 18th, 2006, 04:44 AM
Just as a disclosure, I've had more than a dozen macs since 1984 and I still own one now. I've also spent quite a bit of time at OSX86 project. I own OSX Tiger in two forms: I have an install of 10.4.0 that came with the mini I bought last year and I was given the PPC/Intel install DVD that came with a new iMac a friend bought. So I OWN Tiger in two forms.

Here's the litmus test I've been thinking about. If you or I went into an Apple store and bought a copy of Tiger, went home, got ready to install it and read the EULA and said "No effin' way' do you think apple would take that software back? I don't think they would. That's not a contract, I don't think...that's getting it stuck to you.

Anyway, lest we think this doesn't effect us here, realize that nearly every piece of software run in wine or crossover suffers from the same violation of the DMCA as this case. I can own Tiger but I can't make it run on another platform w/o violating the EULA--and that's the case with most of software out there. That's the basis of M$'s attacks on Wine.

I love to be a real crossplatform kinda guy--tool for each task and all. When it comes down to it though, there is a REALLY SERIOUS difference between OSS and non-OSS. You don't own non-OSS software, and you don't really have control over what you do with it.

This is a big deal, folks.

Agree 100%. This is similar to what blizzard did with bnet case (eula violation)... As for me, I would be very bored if I were forced to run much of my games on their original OS or hardware.

Anyway, if I were to guess the ramifications... How many people that were spurned by apple, will now say... oh hey... let's just buy one of their fancy machines. Average PC users (I mean it in the old IBM PC compatible sense) are used to dropping in new parts [I imagine limited to drm'd parts for mobo for mactels] or put some different OS's on the same machine. There is nothing novel about that.

The other thing I wonder is the cost of switching. If you have various doodads working under windows... Will people complain when there is no mac support for it? Anyway, take what I say here with a grain of salt... Technology predictions are often proven ridiculous, whether it be that bombs from an airplane would be like sacks of flour and ineffective, or that 640k is enough for everyone...

Good day.

Sirin
February 18th, 2006, 05:04 AM

Heh, but there will be hardware problems. You would have to get Mac OS X on AMD, SPARC, and that other stuff. I believe that OS X is best on Macs, because they won't have to abide by other PC Vendor's laws, but their own. NOt to mention how Microsoft will simply take Apple over because Microsoft will do some nasty stuff to make sure that PC vendors keep out OS X. Apple's hardware, Apple's software, Apple's rules. ;)