PDA

View Full Version : Navigating apt in alternate OS

moldboy
January 29th, 2005, 06:16 PM
I have installed Ubuntu on an older machine, which (because of the location) doesn't have an internet connection. I am quite new to linux and was wondering how to install from the internet, without the internet :confused: . Let me explain:

I understand that the packages are like .exe auto installers on windows, correct? Anyway I also inderstand that you can browse the internet using snaptic, to look for more packages. My question is Is there a prgram simmilar to snaptic that I can use to browse the ubuntu software repository, on windows, and then place the packages on a portable media, so as to copy it to my ubuntu machine?
Or is there a good web interface that describs the cintents of the packages, and where to download them?

DJ_Max
January 29th, 2005, 06:26 PM
apt-get is a package manager, it does more then install software, it checks for dependencies, unpacks software, uninstall software, etc.

With that said, you would have to manually download each .deb file you need on your windows machine, then somehow get it on your Linux machine.

Depending on the software you need, some developers make .deb files for their software, for others you have to go to the respitory yourself.

moldboy
January 29th, 2005, 08:23 PM
Where exactly is the repository?