PDA

View Full Version : Why do people say chromium when they should say chromium-browser?

coldReactive
November 7th, 2009, 03:29 PM
Chromium is a side-scrolling space shooter game.

chucky chuckaluck
November 7th, 2009, 03:30 PM

that no one ever heard of.

kio_http
November 7th, 2009, 03:31 PM

I've heard of the game controlled by mouse cursor

Tipped OuT
November 7th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Because it's called the Chromium Web Browser? Are you expecting people to call it Google Chrome or something? Because it's not.

coldReactive
November 7th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Because it's called the Chromium Web Browser? Are you expecting people to call it Google Chrome or something? Because it's not.

I'm expecting people to call ot Chromium Web Browser, or Chromium Browser.

Tipped OuT
November 7th, 2009, 03:34 PM
I'm expecting people to call ot Chromium Web Browser, or Chromium Browser.

Ah, I see.

fhmanas
November 7th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Well saying Chromium is a lot easier than Chromium Web Browser. Most people would understand Chromium referring to the browser rather than the game.

BTW, never heard of the game.

NoaHall
November 7th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Why do people say Linux when they mean GNU/Linux based OS's
Why do people say Linux when they mean Ubuntu
Why do people say Ubuntu when they mean GNU/Linux.

AlphaLexman
November 7th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Maybe for the same reason we say 'Firefox' instead of 'Mozilla Firefox Web Browser' or Chevy instead of Chevrolet.

We are LAZY!

AlexC_
November 7th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Why do people say Firefox instead of Mozilla Firefox? Firefox is a novel which predates the web browser by Mozilla.

They do it because they want to, and because in the context it is often used it, there is no way you can get them confused with something else.

coldReactive
November 7th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Why do people say Linux when they mean GNU/Linux based OS's
Why do people say Linux when they mean Ubuntu
Why do people say Ubuntu when they mean GNU/Linux.

Contradictions! *throws arms up*

Why do people say Firefox instead of Mozilla Firefox? Firefox is a novel which predates the web browser by Mozilla.

I still say Mozilla! Or... netscape o_O (At least in real life.)

steev182
November 7th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Because the only reason people know about chromium (the not particularly good game) is because they're trying to install chromium (the awesome browser)

AlexC_
November 7th, 2009, 03:47 PM
I still say Mozilla! Or... netscape o_O (At least in real life.)

Why are you calling it Mozilla? That is not the full, correct name of the browser.

coldReactive
November 7th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Why are you calling it Mozilla? That is not the full, correct name of the browser.

Mozilla is what Mozilla Firefox is based on. Oh and... XUL...XULrunner.

Tipped OuT
November 7th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Maybe for the same reason we say 'Firefox' instead of 'Mozilla Firefox Web Browser'?

We say it for the same reason we don't say "Microsoft Windows 7". The actual name of the product is Firefox. Mozilla is just the company that made it.

AlexC_
November 7th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Mozilla is what Mozilla Firefox is based on. Oh and... XUL...XULrunner.

So you often go around calling things from what they are based on? =) I think you can see where I'm getting at there. I find it hard to take your OP seriously when you obviously do the same your self. Not a personal attack, just saying.

coldReactive
November 7th, 2009, 03:52 PM
So you often go around calling things from what they are based on? =) I think you can see where I'm getting at there. I find it hard to take your OP seriously when you obviously do the same your self. Not a personal attack, just saying.

But Chromium Browser is not based on Chromium.

sampielogic
November 7th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Chromium is a web browser.

Chromium B.S.U. is a side-scrolling space shooter game.

:rolleyes:

AlexC_
November 7th, 2009, 03:56 PM
But Chromium Browser is not based on Chromium.

There is no such thing as Chromium Browser, everywhere it is labelled as Chromium.

It matters not that things are called the same, what matters is the context in which they are used in. There a hundreds of names that are the same and used all the time, because the people they are talking with know the context of what they are talking about. Hence things can be shortened.

It's very unlikely that someone is going to go 'Yes I browse the web with Chromium' and then someone replies 'you browse the web with a game, or the chemical element?'.

steev182
November 7th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Remember when firefox was getting prominence. People would go to www.firefox.com. It wasn't the right site to download it though, but they ended up putting a link to the site you can get mozilla firefox from.

It's a non-issue. chromium and chromium-browser aren't competing, and if anything, chromium is getting a bit of exposure that it wasn't getting before Google started the chromium-browser project.

Still going to call the browser chromium, just because it's funny to see someone write 'throws arms up'...

coldReactive
November 7th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Chromium is a web browser.

Chromium B.S.U. is a side-scrolling space shooter game.

:rolleyes:

Actually, chromium was not originally a metapackage for chromium-bsu. It was in fact chromium back before now.

cascade9
November 7th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Well, wikipedia says Chromium (web browser).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromium_(web_browser)

If your going to get annoyed about it, shouldn't it be "Chromium B.S.U. is a top-scrolling space shooter game."

People talk about 'ogg files' when they mean, technically, 'vorbis in an ogg container'. Its always going to happen.

AlphaLexman
November 7th, 2009, 04:15 PM
It's still just laziness.

Slightly off the topic I heard a radio advertisement the other day that actually said the letters "H-T-T-P-Colon-Slash-Slash-DoubleU-DoubleU-DoubleU-Dot-InsertWebNameHere-DotCom!

liquidbee
November 7th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Because we say Firefox ( which is just a pair of words and doesn't make any sense if taken out of the context ), not Mozilla Firefox browser.

Giant Speck
November 7th, 2009, 04:23 PM
http://code.google.com/chromium/

Shpongle
November 7th, 2009, 04:25 PM

well said

adrianx
November 7th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Chromium is a chemical element... ;)

So, according to the OP, people should actually say "Chromium the Computer Game" when they refer to the game. :)

coldReactive
November 7th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Chromium is a chemical element... ;)

So, according to the OP, people should actually say "Chromium the Game" when they refer to the game. :)

You just made my day a whole lot better. :|

hoppipolla
November 7th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Well then I expect you to say "Mozilla Firefox 3.5" from now on! hehe :)

or even "Mozilla Firefox Web Browser 3.5" :o

Tipped OuT
November 7th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Well then I expect you to say "Mozilla Firefox 3.5" from now on! hehe :)

or even "Mozilla Firefox Web Browser 3.5" :o

Correction:

"Mozilla Firefox Web Browser 3.5.5"

:lolflag:

hanzomon4
November 7th, 2009, 04:57 PM
I installed that game by accident... it's listed as chromium in apt-get, fun game

overdrank
November 7th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Thread closed as requested by op.