PDA

View Full Version : What about the google books?

frenchn00b
November 7th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Hello

Is there some programs for reading them, such as google book readers, ...
or apps for those

Ubuntu for all !

pwnst*r
November 7th, 2009, 07:24 PM
so.. you can't read them in your browser?

oldos2er
November 7th, 2009, 07:49 PM
fbreader

Warpnow
November 7th, 2009, 08:03 PM
You could create a firefox prism but I don't see the point.

What do you want that isn't included in the browser version?

frenchn00b
November 8th, 2009, 03:35 PM
yep

Warpnow
November 8th, 2009, 05:36 PM
The google books that are free can be downloaded as a pdf.

The ones that aren't can't.

I believe, anyway, all I know for sure is I can download classic literature in pdf from there.

frenchn00b
November 8th, 2009, 05:43 PM
it is nice

Warpnow
November 10th, 2009, 08:29 PM
You know that if you can't download the pdf...that means the book on google books isn't complete? Its just a random set of pages.

frenchn00b
November 10th, 2009, 08:33 PM
You know that if you can't download the pdf...that means the book on google books isn't complete? Its just a random set of pages.

I already found a way, bash script under Linux, to download per page per page the JPG pages, and rebuild it as PDF ... ;) :)

you wget the main url of the book and increment the page into the URL ;)

Warpnow
November 10th, 2009, 08:39 PM
I already found a way, bash script under Linux, to download per page per page the JPG pages, and rebuild it as PDF ... ;) :)

you wget the main url of the book and increment the page into the URL ;)

yeah...but the books aren't complete...you get like one in every four pages...

frenchn00b
November 10th, 2009, 09:23 PM
IMO, this violates the spirit of fair use. I loathe current copyright and patent law (this is no place for a philosophical discussion), but the law is THE LAW, a contract is A CONTRACT, and a license is A LICENSE. Google has had to fight and finagle to obtain the right to provide us with this fantastic book searching service. Don’t encourage people to abuse the system, giving Google every reason to cripple, if not kill, this service.

frenchn00b
November 14th, 2009, 03:05 PM
IMO, this violates the spirit of fair use. I loathe current copyright and patent law (this is no place for a philosophical discussion), but the law is THE LAW, a contract is A CONTRACT, and a license is A LICENSE. Google has had to fight and finagle to obtain the right to provide us with this fantastic book searching service. Don’t encourage people to abuse the system, giving Google every reason to cripple, if not kill, this service.

frenchn00b
November 21st, 2009, 06:42 PM

ugm6hr
November 21st, 2009, 07:45 PM

Eh?

Didn't you ask how to violate the "spirit of fair use" yourself?

If you don't approve, don't ask how to do it...

frenchn00b
November 21st, 2009, 09:00 PM
Eh?

Didn't you ask how to violate the "spirit of fair use" yourself?

If you don't approve, don't ask how to do it...

Simply because at the beginning I thought that the google books were fully free, and it was for better reading.

Why they are so available if everyone can read them??