PDA

View Full Version : Palm Source goes Linux

Derek Djons
February 17th, 2006, 11:05 AM
Check out their announcement at: PalmSource.com (http://www.palmsource.com/press/2006/021406_accesslinuxplatform.html)

fuscia
February 17th, 2006, 12:05 PM
here's a link to a suggestion that apple was going to buy palm - http://www.pcw.co.uk/personal-computer-world/news/2149813/apple-bite-palm

Derek Djons
February 17th, 2006, 01:59 PM
So the theory that Apple is planning a iPDA or iPhone is being fed by logical facts / information.

Apple, in recent history has started to patent some new tech stuff which suggest this and taking over Palm is makes things a whole step closer.

I'm looking forward to the future. Personally an iPDA would be sweet in my opinion. At the moment the iPod Video supports viewing stuff which you maintain in Outlook and the Mac version of such software. This, combining it with a fullscreen iPod would really start a new level of multimedia / organizer devices for Apple.

Brunellus
February 17th, 2006, 04:42 PM
...and how long will the batteries last?

That's been my main concern lately. The devices that the marketplace will consume are getting more and more powerful, but battery technology and power-management continues to lag behind.

Bragador
February 17th, 2006, 04:45 PM
I wonder...

If the battery runs out, will you have to buy a new one ?

:rolleyes:

Derek Djons
February 17th, 2006, 05:48 PM
There are quite some new types of battery being developed at the moment. Toshiba is such a company. The batteries aren't ready for the commercial market but already still in development they have a lot of capacity and last far longer than current batteries.

So it's also possible Apple is just reserving it's front row ticket seat for the upcoming future.

Brunellus
February 17th, 2006, 08:16 PM
Battery tech is still the limiting factor, and will be for quite a while to come. I have begun to think in terms of battery life rather than feature set for mobile devices.

Personally, I'm willing to give up some chrome (i.e. extra features) in exchange for longer mobile uptime. As my grandmother always says--if you want all the comforts of home....stay at home. Otherwise, travel.