PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Desktop hangs after upgrade from 9.04->9.10

may88
November 7th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Hi,
I'm having major issues with Karmic.
I can leave the system at login prompt for hours but if I start the desktop (gnome) then my system will hang. Sometimes after 45minutes but normally within 5 or so, sometimes before it has finished loading the server.
I had bug reports from Wifi-radar. I have a card but I am not using wifi so I've uninstalled the package.
Everything stops but if I am playing sound then the last half a second or so loops.

I have searched launchpad and this topic and seen lots of issues out there but none that are a match. Part of my problem is knowing where to find out what the problem was.

wifi-radar left a segfault in messages but the last few hangs are leaving no clues. (not that I get much time to investigate).

I guess I'm asking for help on getting help, but if you have the answer then great. :)

may88
November 7th, 2009, 02:41 PM
I ran xterm and from there installed JWM and from here I to use the system. Ok so far. Been up for over 2hrs. Just run firefox and VLC so far.

I did notice that when I started gnome-session from the xterm that it was streaming issues with two applets failing to connect.

when the update first finished I had list "places" and the menu layout was different. Has a cool binary clock. This turned out to be another window manager - It locked up in the same way.

Jwm via xterm seems to be a work-a-round for now. Not so pretty but everything's on the menu.

may88
November 23rd, 2009, 09:28 PM
Starting any web browser will cause the system to hang eventually.