PDA

View Full Version : Would you purchase commercial applications from the Software Center? POLL!!!

Matthewthegreat
November 7th, 2009, 05:53 AM
After reading this topic:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1316504&page=6

I decided to start another topic like it with a poll

blueshiftoverwatch
November 7th, 2009, 06:07 AM
I wouldn't buy software from the software center for the same reason that when Half-Life 2: Episode 3 comes out I'm going to buy it at a store and not on Steam. If I'm going to spend money on a piece of software I want to have an official looking box with a stamped CD/DVD and an instruction manual. Something that I can physically put on a shelf and look at as I walk by. So that I feel like I'm actually getting something of value for my money instead of a "heres your serial number, save it somewhere or write it down" message.

Am I crazy for thinking that way?

Tipped OuT
November 7th, 2009, 06:34 AM
I wouldn't buy software from the software center for the same reason that when Half-Life 2: Episode 3 comes out I'm going to buy it at a store and not on Steam. If I'm going to spend money on a piece of software I want to have an official looking box with a stamped CD/DVD and an instruction manual. Something that I can physically put on a shelf and look at as I walk by. So that I feel like I'm actually getting something of value for my money instead of a "heres your serial number, save it somewhere or write it down" message.

Am I crazy for thinking that way?

Well generally software you purchase digitally is cheaper then buying it from (example) Amazon, and having it shipped to your door step.

You're paying extra money for the physical materials.

misfitpierce
November 7th, 2009, 06:34 AM
Yes I would if they had some awesome applications that needed to be paid for then yes, I do not mind. Just because you use an OS based on opensource technology and the choice of freedom does not mean that some software makers cant charge for their time and awesome application writing. If a program has tons of time put into it and is updated often and does something you need then I see no reason in not paying for an application regardless if the OS itself was free or not. I say yes, if there was an app that intrigued me and was good, then yes I would indeed pay for it!

Jr.Muffin
November 7th, 2009, 07:07 AM
After reading this topic:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1316504&page=6

I decided to start another topic like it with a poll

Thank you for starting a poll. I did add a reply indicating to the admins if they could start a poll on the thread I started, but I guess they missed it.

I would definitely buy software from the Software Center. What I would do much more though is donate to the free software I already use. What a lot of Linux users forget is that, even though free software is great, the people who create the software still have bills to pay.

Frak
November 7th, 2009, 07:27 AM
Change it from "Would you" to "Will you". Assuming Canonical has half a brain, this is their chance to get into the profitable margin they've been looking for since they've been initiated.

doorknob60
November 7th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Yeah, if it's something worth buying (Crossover for example).

edin9
November 7th, 2009, 09:30 AM
Maybe.

Naiki Muliaina
November 7th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Definitely!

Lets actually get some good dames in there! Savage 1,2, and the upcoming Heroes, World of Goo, Penumbra (omg such an awesome unnoticed game!) On a rain slicked precipice, Quake (mind you thats a buggy one). You know.... Modern games? Nexuiz and Alien Arena are fantastic games and all.... But they have been the answer to 'no games in FOSS world' debate for aaaages.

As long as the software is good enough, i will always pay for it.

Matthewthegreat
November 8th, 2009, 01:14 AM
I will buy software if there is something I want. I already have bought world of goo and crossover so I have no problem buying commercial apps. I hope this means we will see some apps like photoshop, Sony Vegas, games, ect. ported to linux soon.

forrestcupp
November 8th, 2009, 01:17 AM
I voted for the first option, but I seriously doubt that they will have anything worth paying for. Of course that's in the perspective of the comparison with Free Software; everything could be worth paying for.

NoaHall
November 8th, 2009, 01:18 AM
If they are selling codecs(like I think they will) then yes, I guess.

vexorian
November 8th, 2009, 01:19 AM
I probably wouldn't buy anything, but I don't oppose to the idea of allowing it to sell software to people that would want it.

semitone36
November 8th, 2009, 01:27 AM
I would buy, but only because it would generate attention from freelance developers. Once people realize that there is money to be made from programming for linux, it will be the iPhone App Store all over again.

Frak
November 8th, 2009, 01:37 AM
it will be the iPhone App Store all over again.

I'd rather compare it to a software market. At least then there won't be stupid rules over what can go into it, such as "No app can duplicate any feature already in Ubuntu".

semitone36
November 8th, 2009, 01:57 AM
I'd rather compare it to a software market. At least then there won't be stupid rules over what can go into it, such as "No app can duplicate any feature already in Ubuntu".

Maybe it was a bad example but I was more referring to how quickly it was adopted and its popularity

collinp
November 8th, 2009, 02:02 AM
No, because I have already found excellent replacements for everything that I have depended upon commercial applications for.