PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [Kernel problem] (karmic)

wcutrombonekid
November 7th, 2009, 05:17 AM
So i just installed karmic a few days ago and now every time i boot up it gives me this little exclamation point thing up on the top of my screen. if i click on it, a box comes up that says the following:
"Your system encountered a serious kernel problem.
your system might become unstable now and might need to be restarted
you can help the developers fix the problem by reporting it"

i've already reported it, but it still bothers me.

i have a Gateway E-475m
i have replaced the hard drive with a western digital 320 GB
i have karmic koala dual booted with windows vista.

this is the first time i've ever seen this and i've been using jaunty since pretty close to when it was released, so i've been with linux a little over 6 months

any help would be greatly appreciated

wcutrombonekid
November 8th, 2009, 05:15 AM
bump

please help

presence1960
November 8th, 2009, 05:22 AM
bump

please help

I received the same message on install of 9.10. Nothing serious ever happened. I have downloaded updates twice and the problem has gone away. Attached is a pic of my updates choices from software sources under System > Administration

wcutrombonekid
November 8th, 2009, 02:29 PM
how did you get to that first box within software center?

wcutrombonekid
November 8th, 2009, 02:35 PM
ok, nvm i found it. thanks

drascus
November 9th, 2009, 12:59 AM
OK I have the same problem but I am at a loss as to why I would need to get unsupported or experimental updates to fix it? Is this a problem everyone is having?

presence1960
November 9th, 2009, 01:10 AM
OK I have the same problem but I am at a loss as to why I would need to get unsupported or experimental updates to fix it? Is this a problem everyone is having?It got fixed for me after updating twice. I just listed my choices under Software Sources. I know not from which source the update which fixed it came from. If you are unwilling then just sit tight and wait.

wcutrombonekid
November 10th, 2009, 05:12 PM
i don't have any of the unreleased updates on my update list and after i added all of the ones he had except that one, the problem fixed itself

presence1960
November 10th, 2009, 08:10 PM
i don't have any of the unreleased updates on my update list and after i added all of the ones he had except that one, the problem fixed itself

Thanks for reporting back, now we know it isn't in that category. That helps narrow it down.