PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing Ubuntu, first time...

AdobeMan
November 7th, 2009, 03:27 AM
Im using vista right now and would like to install 9.10 I've downloaded the .iso and mounted it to a CD but when I go to start it up windows gives me a bunch of bull about autoplay stuff like "would I like to open pictures in windows gallary" nice one vista...

Have I download an upgrade maybe rather than a full install... any help would be nice

Wa1k3rTXRang3r
November 7th, 2009, 03:29 AM
Unless you are trying to install it inside of Windows via Wubi, you will have to reboot your computer and tell it to boot from the cd. This will give you the installation menu for Ubuntu.

howefield
November 7th, 2009, 03:32 AM
Watch this 10 minute video about dual booting Ubuntu, (it refers to xp, but the process is the same if you have Vista) - it's about the fifth video down the page.

Ubuntu Dual Boot Install

http://screencasts.ubuntu.com/

AdobeMan
November 7th, 2009, 05:44 AM
ok well I've watched a couple of vid and my disc doesn't have the "live" thing I wanted to try that...

sliketymo
November 7th, 2009, 05:59 AM
You will have to set your "Bios" to boot to Cd-rom to run the cd in "Live"mode.

hansdown
November 7th, 2009, 06:08 AM
Hi AdobeMan.

You could possibly have downloaded the " alternate install" CD.

The ubuntu live CD may work better.

AdobeMan
November 7th, 2009, 06:12 AM
i think you right there... oh well try again. though i think this was the only one on the sever... aussie sever with iinet so it doesn't count towards my usage...

AdobeMan
November 7th, 2009, 06:15 AM
http://ftp.iinet.net.au/linux/ubuntu-cd-images/9.10/

could someone tell me which one, im running amd

cheetaux
November 7th, 2009, 06:24 AM
You probably want the one labeled ubuntu-9.10-desktop-i386.iso.

seenthelite
November 7th, 2009, 06:24 AM
ubuntu-9.10-desktop-i386.iso

AdobeMan
November 7th, 2009, 07:13 AM
are you sure whats AMD64 for, if im running a phenom seems logical just want to confirm...

AdobeMan
November 7th, 2009, 07:20 AM
also, my system has 4gb of ram, how much can ubuntu see/use. can I add more

howefield
November 7th, 2009, 11:30 AM
are you sure whats AMD64 for, if im running a phenom seems logical just want to confirm...

You probably want this one, which is for 64 bit processors.

ubuntu-9.10-desktop-amd64.iso

The AMD part of the name is simply a reflection of the chip maker AMD who first designed a 64 bit cpu, the name has stuck but you can use this edition on Intel or AMD chips.

To access all your 4 gig memory would mean you need the 64 bit version, or the server edition which has PAE (physical address extension) enabled.