PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Noob Installation Question (no deb or install script)

yousillygoose
November 7th, 2009, 03:18 AM
Hey hey,

I have a question about installing programs that don't have scripts to install them. This has come up from time to time and I have always avoided it, but I am now curious!

Right now, I am working on Thunderbird 3.0 b4. I have the folder that you can download from mozilla where I can run thunderbird from. What I would like to do is add thunderbird to /usr/bin so that I can run the program either through the terminal or a run command.

Any help with this would be appreciated. (both for this program and any other I assume the process is the same).

Thanks again.

Ps- I tried just doing a ln from /usr/bin/thunderbird-3.0 to where the file is, but it failed because "Cannot find Thudderbird runtime directory).

Thanks!

wnderinguy34
November 7th, 2009, 03:57 AM
Since you're a noob I've gotta ask have you tried installing via Synaptic manager.It doesn't solve your "installing without a script",but would get Thunderbird installed.I've found it usually solves any dependancy issues ,because it will get them too.

yousillygoose
November 7th, 2009, 04:06 AM
Oh yes, I know all that.

I have been using ubuntu for like 2 years, hehe, it is a noob question, but I do have linux experience.

Thank you, though!