PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Back to 9.04

fritzman
November 7th, 2009, 03:11 AM
I upgraded to 9.10, and as far as the online upgrade goes, it went fairly well. Once I rebooted to the new 9.10, I was not as impressed. The splash during boot is crude, and completely unattractive to me. The loss of fine control over gdm/gdmsetup is a big letdown. And wrestling through the sound problems was a big pain.
I finally got sound working, and everything else seems to work. Bottom line, though, is that for me, 9.10 doesn't offer anything that I didn't already have and like with 9.04. Taking away the gdm/gdmsetup, and using the gnome-mandated gdm, in my opinion, sealed it. Ubuntu 9.10 just doesn't cut it for me. You have an excellent product with 9.04. 9.10 is not ready for prime-time.
So, I restored 9.04 from backup, and will continue with it till I'm forced to upgrade. Perhaps by then, the newer version will actually work.

owa):P

jjcv
November 7th, 2009, 05:16 AM
Glad you are a happy camper now.

You could have replaced gdm with kdm or any of the other options available if you ever wished to or did not like the way the default one works.

fritzman
November 7th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Actually, after giving my post some thought, my dissatisfaction is primarily with the inflexibility of gnome and gdm, and the problems with sound.
In the nearly seven years I've been using Linux, I've always used the gnome desktop. I am, just now, trying the KDE desktop with the kdm manager. At this stage, I have a curious mix of gnome and kde, gnome having been installed first. I'll play with kde for a while and see how I like the kdm manager.
As for the sound issues with 9.10, it seems I would think I had the conflicts resolved, only to have another problem come up, usually with RealPlayer not having any sound at all, or giving a message that some other program might be using it. Never had any of these problems with 9.04, so back I went.
Perhaps, if I get comfortable with the kde desktop, I'll give 9.10 another go, and try to resolve the sound issues, or maybe they will have been resolved by that time.
All in all, I am much happier with Ubuntu since the 9.04 release. Earlier releases, I couldn't get my favorite xscreensaver to work, and had problems getting Cross Over Office (wine) programs to work, when they would work on Fedora.
Fedora, in my opinion, has developed the tendency to leap too far out with unresolved issues ranging across the complete release, leaving the problems for the community to resolve. So, last spring, I gave Ubuntu another try, and have been happy with 9.04, since my xscreensaver now works, and the Cross Over Office programs work without problems.
Herein lies the beauty of Linux; we have the freedom to try another distribution if we're unhappy with one, and the freedom to modify, within our own personal limitations, what ever we need to get our box to work as WE want it to.
Thus, my signature.....

owa;)