PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] KDE Desktop running on Gnome - How can I remove the Gnome panel?

MadnessRed
November 7th, 2009, 02:56 AM
Hi, I am running Ubuntu 9.04. With KDE installed. I am using the gnome session primarily. However, I am useing the KDE Desktop and panels. So kind of a hybrid session. (I like the KDE panel and desktop but I am more comfortable with GNome the rest of the time.)

What I want to do it stop the GNOME-Panel from starting up when I log in. How would I go about doing this?

cptr13
November 7th, 2009, 03:06 AM
I don't understand this at all...As far as I know...you can't mix the two. You can use KDE apps inside a Gnome environment and vice versa. But as far as I know, you can't use the KDE "desktop" while logged into Gnome.

Can you elaborate with specifics?

wojox
November 7th, 2009, 03:13 AM
So log in and use the kde session.

MadnessRed
November 7th, 2009, 03:26 AM
I don't understand this at all...As far as I know...you can't mix the two. You can use KDE apps inside a Gnome environment and vice versa. But as far as I know, you can't use the KDE "desktop" while logged into Gnome.

I am already using the KDE desktop in gnome. What I am trying to do is remove the Gnome panels.

If you have kde and gnome, press alt+f2 and type "plasma"

lovinglinux
November 7th, 2009, 05:12 AM

Yes, you can.

I am already using the KDE desktop in gnome. What I am trying to do is remove the Gnome panels.

If you have kde and gnome, press alt+f2 and type "plasma"

See solution here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1291048). Scroll down to step 5. Keep in mind that once you remove the gnome panel, you will lose other functionality, like shortkeys and menus, including alt+F2. So I recommend creating the launchers on step 4, to allow starting gnome-panel if needed.

I'm currently using KDE, but when I was using that setup, I wasn't able to logout or reboot from plasma.

MadnessRed
November 7th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Yes, you can.

See solution here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1291048). Scroll down to step 5. Keep in mind that once you remove the gnome panel, you will lose other functionality, like shortkeys and menus, including alt+F2. So I recommend creating the launchers on step 4, to allow starting gnome-panel if needed.

I'm currently using KDE, but when I was using that setup, I wasn't able to logout or reboot from plasma.

hm, that tutorial is pretty much what i have done already, the bit about gconf I did but it doesn't work. I can't kill gnome-panel. The tut is for karmic though I have jaunty atm.

lovinglinux
November 7th, 2009, 05:13 PM
ok, many thanks. I have currently managed to mess up my gnome install, playing with netbook-remix so I have kinda gone the otherway, I am running metacity in kde with compiz. Then I applied the Humanity Theme to KDE for consistancy. Looks quite good now. Now I have to decide between nautilus and dolphin.

I also use Humanity theme on KDE. Looks really nice. Additionally, I use the Klearlooks style on KDE applications and QtCurve for Gnome applications.

cptr13
November 7th, 2009, 09:10 PM
I've heard of this before, but I always assumed people didn't fully grasp the differences between Gnome and KDE. Are there any screenshots or videos of this? I'm curious to see it. The screenshot on your tutorial frankly just looks like KDE with a gnome app and a few gnome icons. Store)

lovinglinux
November 7th, 2009, 11:42 PM
I've heard of this before, but I always assumed people didn't fully grasp the differences between Gnome and KDE. Are there any screenshots or videos of this? I'm curious to see it. The screenshot on your tutorial frankly just looks like KDE with a gnome app and a few gnome icons. Store)

Unfortunately, I'm currently using kde-minimal over a command-line only installation of Ubuntu, so I can't post more screenshots or videos. Essentially, running plasma over Gnome is just like running kde-minimal on Ubuntu, but you don't have to logout and change the desktop environment for the session.

t.rei
November 8th, 2009, 12:53 AM
I understand what you want to do, and the solution depends on some details:

If you want to use krunner on alt+f2 you can just do

sudo chmod a-x /usr/bin/gnome-panel
effectively removing the permission to execute the gnome panel from all users.
this can be reversed by running

sudo chmod a+x /usr/bin/gnome-panel

Now, if you want the gnome "Run Application" dialog. That makes it more difficult, as I think it is somewhat linked to having the gnome-panel running.

BUT you can just hide it:
Delete all but one gnome panel, empty it of all apps, make it as small as possible in one corner and set it to auto-hide.
Then run

gconf-editor
and go to apps -> panel -> toplevels
there should be just one panel below that.
change its settings to: "auto hide size 1" and "animation_speed fast" "hide delay 0" "unhide_delay 3000"

ok, you have a tiny little pixel in the corner now. but put it in the lower right corner, and never worry about it. ;) If you set the panel color apropriately you might be able to set it to just the same color as your kde panel.

Used to run this while back. By now I have one kubuntu system that I use actively and one ubuntu for testing. ;)