PDA

View Full Version : WLAN AP-List How to start?

tsg
November 7th, 2009, 02:40 AM
Hello, I want to make a gtkmm based GUI, that lists available WLANs and some details like signal quality, encryption, etc.

I know how to make a GUI with gtkmm, but I have no idea, where to get the wifi information from.

Is there any c/c++ wifi library for that purpose?
Is there anything I can reuse?

I thought about searching the code of the network manager, but that will not be easy...
Can someone give me a hint to the right library, kernel/system call, or wuteva I might go for. Or at least some keywords for google I haven't thought of yet..

Thank you very Much!

jon zendatta
November 7th, 2009, 06:20 PM
perhaps you could read this
http://www.ebookee.com/TCP-IP-Illustrated-Volume-1-The-Protocols_81027.html
view the source code for wireshark

ssam
November 7th, 2009, 06:26 PM
you could look at cnetworkmanager does it
http://vidner.net/martin/software/cnetworkmanager/

tsg
November 9th, 2009, 08:45 PM
@jon zendetta:

Thank you for you reply, but I'm a little confused: What has tcp/ip to do with wlan? and how can wireshark (ethernet analylis) help me with that?

@ssam:

Thank you as well I'll have a look at the cnetworkmanager source code, although I still think this might be not easy.

Does someone know of a general purpose wlan library?
Thank you very much so far

tsg
November 9th, 2009, 10:15 PM
I had a first look at the cnetworkmanager sourcecode by now. Unfortunately it's python. I was hoping for a c/c++ solution *g*. So I also looked into the networkmanager/networkmanager-gnome source, where I found a reference to iwlib.h. Might that be what I'm looking for? I'll have a closer look at that lib in the meantime.

tturrisi
November 11th, 2009, 01:58 PM
This may help:

#!/bin/bash
# Find device used for wifi.
devlist=$(cat /proc/net/wireless | tail --lines=1) 2>/dev/null
devleft=${devlist#' '*}
devright=${devlist%%':'*}
echo $devright | grep "" > /tmp/dev_pure
device=$(cat /tmp/dev_pure)

# Get Quality
iwconfig $device | grep Link > /tmp/link
quality=$(cat /tmp/link | grep "Link")
echo $quality

# Get LAN IP
ifconfig | grep 'inet addr:'| grep -v '127.0.0.1' | cut -d: -f2 | awk '{ print $1}'

Check the Conky source code too. It has built in support for wifi variables.

tsg
November 12th, 2009, 12:02 AM
I found that the iwlib.h can do the job for me. I havn't found a good tutorial yet, but I think it won't be too difficoult.

Another idea is to write my own lightwight kismet client, and get the information from kismet. I have absolutely no idea how this is done, but the idea sounds interesting.

Has anyone ever tried that?

Thank you all for your hints!

cszikszoy
November 12th, 2009, 03:25 AM
What about querying NetworkManager's DBUS interface to get that info? I've written something before in C# that gets all info from DBUS.

tsg
November 30th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Hi thank you for your replys.

I don't know about that DBUS thing, but I found out that the iwlib would do exactly what I need. It's the lib that iwconfig is build on.
But just for the fun of it (and because I like the monitor mode*g*) I started to write a kismet client, which seems to work well. There is almost no documentation of the kismet protocoll, but it is quite simple and the kismet source code helps. I'm working on a VERY simple kismet client lib, when its finished, I'll publish it.