PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] System Monitor not working after 9.10 upgrade

pdugas
November 7th, 2009, 12:29 AM
Hi,

I upgraded to release 9.10 and now system monitor does not work. When I invoke it from the administration icon, nothing happens. The first time I invoked it, there was an error message (which I did not record). I just tried to re-invoke it. Now I no longer get an error message - it just spins for a few seconds then nothing. I tried to re-install the gnome system monitor package but to no effect. I have not noticed anything else not working.

Environment:
- Ubuntu R9.10 installed via the upgrade feature.
- Running as guest in Virtual box with Windows host
- Problem started with upgrade to R9.10
- Also have Kubuntu 9.10 running in Virtual Box with system monitor working but that was a clean install

Any suggestions on how to get it working will be appreciated.

Thanks .......... Paul

fabianspiteri
November 7th, 2009, 12:44 AM
Running gnome-system-monitor from terminal could give you some indication from the output. I always do that as a first step.

Fabian

pdugas
November 7th, 2009, 02:12 AM
Hi fabianspiteri,

I'm not that proficient in using the CLI. How would I do that?

....... Paul

fabianspiteri
November 7th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Hi,

Hit ALT+F2 and type gnome-terminal and hit enter.

In the terminal type gnome-system-monitor and hit enter. You will get an output in the terminal.

Fabian

pdugas
November 8th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Hi,

Here is the response from entering the command in terminal:

>> paul@paul-desktop2:~$ gnome-system-monitor
>>
>> ** (gnome-system-monitor:3482): WARNING **: SELinux was found but is >> not enabled.
>>
>>
>> GLib-GObject-ERROR **: Attempt to add property GtkMenuBar::local to >> class after it was derived
>> aborting...
>> Aborted (core dumped)

When I try to report the problem I get the following:

>> The problem cannot be reported:
>>
>> The program crashed on an assertion failure, but the message could >> not be retrieved. Apport does not support reporting these crashes."

.............. Paul

murflaw7424
November 9th, 2009, 04:27 AM
I receive the same error message. I was able to access system monitor and then created a keyboard shortcut, after reboot it will not open and gives me that error message.

fabianspiteri
November 9th, 2009, 09:40 AM
This is most probably directly related to this : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1312466

Fabian

pdugas
November 10th, 2009, 01:35 AM
Thanks fabianspiteri. That is the issue .......... Paul

fabianspiteri
November 10th, 2009, 08:25 PM
You're welcome :)

Fabian