PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Evolution keeps regenerating my cleared trash

silbar
November 7th, 2009, 12:10 AM
Greetings,

Running 9.04. My Evolution has been set up, for some time, to empty the trash when I exit Evolution. However, lately it somehow has begun regenerating the trashed messages that were earlier emptied. Has anyone else seen this problem? And solved it?

I tried looking in the .eveolution/mail/local/mail/ directory for a Trash folder, but there is none there. These emptied out messages must be stored somewhere on the computer (and in my account?), but where are they?

**** Silbar

silbar
November 11th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Greetings, again,

There were 20 folks who looked at my previous posting but no comments or suggestions. Has no one else seen this problem?

Anyway, for reasons unknown to me, the problem seems to have gone away. When I booted up this morning the trash folder was empty. I have no idea if it was something I did or not.

**** Silbar

dumblebee100
November 11th, 2009, 03:29 PM
Greetings, again,

There were 20 folks who looked at my previous posting but no comments or suggestions. Has no one else seen this problem?

Anyway, for reasons unknown to me, the problem seems to have gone away. When I booted up this morning the trash folder was empty. I have no idea if it was something I did or not.

**** Silbar

I have some similar problem but not the same as yours
I have gmail account
even when I delete some mails it remains in ALL MAIL folder
when I delete from ALL MAIL ..temporarily it gets deleted but when synced second time all mails come again ( which are deleted previously)
at present I have only one solution ...goto gmail web interface and delete those mails even from the ALL MAIL folder

this applies to you only if u are using gmail imap account

dumblebee100
January 11th, 2010, 05:24 PM
I have some similar problem but not the same as yours
I have gmail account
even when I delete some mails it remains in ALL MAIL folder
when I delete from ALL MAIL ..temporarily it gets deleted but when synced second time all mails come again ( which are deleted previously)
at present I have only one solution ...goto gmail web interface and delete those mails even from the ALL MAIL folder

this applies to you only if u are using gmail imap account

hey I found a solution for my problem ..hope you can also work on it

All I have to do is to select the messages which are to be deleted then move to the GMIAL folder thrash ..I mean network folder thrash( not local trash ) ..then goto the GMAIL: --> Trash then delete the mails ...then these mails get to the local trash folder ..then u can delete the mails from local trash by using shift delete I mean permanently ...whenever you are in network trash I mean gmail trash you only get option to delete and not shift delete ..thats what u need to see where you are and which trash folder you are in ...
telling u the procedure in simpler ways

select mails to be deleted
move them to GMAIL:Trash
goto GMAIL:trash select all the mails
move to Trash folder (local ones)
then goto Trash and delete mails

This is the case with Gmail for me ..now I need not goto web interface to delete my mails
Hope this works for u

Aleksandar_B
February 26th, 2010, 04:10 PM
I also had this problem. Here are the steps I took to solve the it.

Note: I set Evolution to empty Local Thrash when closed.
Note: Messages moved to Gmail Thrash (in Evolution) are also found in Thrash folder through Gmail's web interface.
Note. Messages deleted from All Mail folder are deleted permanently from all folders including Inbox and Labeled folders.

Delete from Inbox:

Select message(s) to be deleted from Inbox
Delete message(s)
Message(s) goes to Local Thrash
Close Evolution or right click on Local Thrash folder -> Empty Thrash
Local Thrash empties, and the message is gone

The above method is also aplicable for deleting messages from Labeled folders besides from Inbox, but a copy of the message(s) is saved in All Mail folder regardles of do you delete them from Inbox or not.
When I delete a message from Inbox and go to Local Thrash and try to restore them they do not appear in Inbox any more.

Delete from All Mail (the wrong way):

Select message(s) to be deleted from All Mail
Delete message(s)
The message(s) go to Local Thrash
Restart Evolution or right click -> Empty Thrash
Deleted message(s) are restored in All Mail

Messages deleted from the All Mail folder in the proces described above are restored in All Mail folder after Evolution is restarted or Empty Thrash command is given, so here is the right way to delete message(s) from All Mail folder.

Delete from All Mail (the right way):

Select message(s) to be deleted from All Mail
Drag the message(s) to Gmail Thrash
Delete message(s) from Gmail Thrash
Deleted message(s) go into Local Thrash
Restart Evolution
Message(s)are deleted.