PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] picture icons and folder icons randomly don't appear in karmic

jimmybarcelona
November 7th, 2009, 12:05 AM
So after a clean install of karmic koala everything is working very well except for one minor thing.

Scenario:
I create a new folder on my desktop and add about a dozen pictures to it. Later I restart my computer and the newly added folder is gone. I check at the command line and the Folder does still exist and has all the pictures in it. I open up nautilus and navigate into my Desktop folder that way. The folder is there. It just doesn't show up on my actual desktop. I manage to get it to appear by right clicking on my desktop and clicking "clean up by name" to arrange my desktop icons. After that the Folder magically appears. So I thought the problem was solved. I create another new folder (this time in a folder on my desktop) and add more pictures to that new folder. This folder always shows up, but when I navigate into the folder via nautilus my mouse icon shows as busy and no pictures (or one or two) show up and that's it. I can still access the files from the command line, but they won't show up in nautilus.

Is this a result of upgrading to ext4? The trouble with icons only seems to happen with files or folders created after the install. I extracted my tar'd home folder overtop the new home folder after the install, so all of my old desktop icons from my jaunty install are currently on my desktop. But I only have problems with things created from within karmic. Any ideas? I can work around the issue because I can find everything I need from the command line if I need to, but would prefer fix it. My wife uses this machine and she's not as good on the cli as I am...