PDA

View Full Version : [wubi] Installed KK ran great then GRUB problem

devi59
November 7th, 2009, 12:00 AM
Hi everyone. I have an HP dv7-2185dx laptop that is running Windows 7 Pro on it. I am a Cisco networking student and this semester we added a little thing called Ubuntu into our classes. I have dabbled with different distros of linux and I do LOVE Ubuntu. Now for my current horror story:
I installed 9.10 using the WUBI because I didn't want to change my partitioning. I have a storage partition and a recovery partition, plus Windows 7 on install did a 100MB system partition. This is all on one 500 GB HD. Karmic was running great and this morning I was trying to move my login name from the corner to a new panel but my touchpad finger slipped and it booted me into the "Guest" mode. At that point my touchpad and keyboard went non-responsive. Tried all the tricks to get out, but nothing helped so I hard powered down. Reboot, went to Windows Bootloader, Picked Ubuntu and it shows Trying (hd0,1) No wulidr Trying (hd0,2) No wulidr then it says Trying (hd0,3) [I know it is on that partition] and it then says GRUB 1.96 Beta at the top and has a sh:grub > prompt. At this point I am lost and nothing I have done fixes it and I can't get back into Ubuntu. Windows 7 is fine but I want Ubuntu as well because of my classes. Any Help? I have been searching the forums and all over the internet and nothing has resolved it.

devi59
November 7th, 2009, 12:06 AM
The biggest reason I do not want to start over again is because I added many tweaks, sources, drivers and changed everything over a period of 9 hours of work. I do not think I can remember it all and if need be I will just copy EVERYTHING out of the (loop0) and copying it to my storage partition and back to see if it works, but I have a feeling that can have horrible reprocussions as well.

devi59
November 7th, 2009, 12:20 AM
Looking at other threads my problem is basically the same as this one. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1310820 Has anyone figured out a solution?