PDA

View Full Version : what type of distros are good !explain! :D

hughaldrich
November 6th, 2009, 11:33 PM
so what type of distros are good for me to try out im trying fedora and opensuse can u give me a heads up on them:?:

Kingsley
November 6th, 2009, 11:37 PM
Look up how to enable Plymouth so you can have the pretty boot screen in Fedora.

liquidbee
November 6th, 2009, 11:46 PM
Types .. what types are there anyway ? :-s

SunnyRabbiera
November 6th, 2009, 11:58 PM
so what type of distros are good for me to try out im trying fedora and opensuse can u give me a heads up on them:?:

Well I can easily point out the flaws and merits of both:

openSUSE:

Merits:
Seems to be rock solid, very stable and easy to work with

Flaws:
installing software from outside of the repositories can be a pain, dependencies are not automatically installed for you like in Ubuntu.

Fedora:

Merits: Stable, fast, and I do like its themes

Flaws: no alien makes fedora hard to work with, as if fedora does not provide a package for what you need its compile.

squilookle
November 7th, 2009, 12:55 AM
Both OpenSUSE and Fedora are excellent distributions: Suse was the first distro I used about 6 years ago and I stuck with it for a long time. I try the newer ones every so often.

I agree that it is rock solid, and YaST is a fantastic tool. The only problem I ever had with Suse was that I used to find it a little bloated.

Fedora on the otherhand seems to be incredibly light weight, even running Gnome or KDE. The downside I have experienced is that some things tend to not work properly without some tweaking: Pulseaudio for me in Fedora 11.