PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ghost Hunting

xtremesupremacy3
November 6th, 2009, 11:09 PM
Ok, heres a question I bet you don't often get.

I have a particular interest in the paranormal.
Now outside of my normal daytime events (Student life), I visit people with questions on the paranormal and hauntings.
One thing I find difficult on Ubuntu (Windows would be difficult too I suppose), is software for this matter. I hope perhaps some of you can help me in some software that might be helpful?

I require the following:
1) A recording facility which allows me to record and tune and amplify and remove background noise (This is for Electronic Voice Phenomena or EVP)
2) Cam recording app which allows me to record fairly well in the dark for long periods of time, without taking up too much space and if possible has movement detection.

Anyone have any ideas?

Ghost|BTFH
November 30th, 2009, 04:05 PM
For recording, just use sound recorder - you have several options on how to save it.

For editing said sound file, might I suggest Audacity which has the ability to remove background noise through a sampling?

I've used it for when my wife was going to college classes and recording the classes on an mp3 player - **** poor quality, but within 15 minutes I'd have it sounding like a professional recording.

As for video - I would have no idea, but I do know there are programs out there for motion detection - they have programs like that for security, I wouldn't see an issue with adopting them for this purpose.

Cheers,
Ghost|BTFH

lykwydchykyn
November 30th, 2009, 04:14 PM
There's an app in the repository called "motion" which does motion-sensitive recording. It's a bit tricky to set up because it's all command line, but I used it a few years ago to catch someone who was pilfering after hours at the office so I can attest it works.