PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] They say Windows 7 is great but.........

zuerston
November 6th, 2009, 10:53 PM
Yes that's what they some say,that Windows 7 is sooo great but THEY HAVEN'T tried Ubuntu 9.10 now have they? .I haven't tried Windows 7 either,and I sure don't think I will! ,because it couldn't possibly even compare to the new Ubuntu 9.10. so why would I? (spend$$$ get hacked ? catch viruses ? ect) nope not me.

I just got 9.10 installed from a DVD that I burned from a torrent file (fast download too) and finished installing my optional programs and testing it all out,its just PERFECT ! everything is working and it just couldn't be better.
My computer is actually twice as fast as it was running 9.04, and the boot and shut down time is the fastest Ive seen yet.

You know also all the programs and new optional software is all the absolute latest versions with 9.10 ? yup ,all that new version stuff I been trying to install in 9.04 is now available in 9.10 in every install. so what could be better?

Yup I bitched about stuff in prior posts,I was having a bad time with it! and most tried to tell me it was "hardware" problems (nope) ,but after a fresh DVD install ,well I already discussed that above!
:KS:KS:KS:KS:KS Five stars for Ubuntu and team ,its just perfect!
zuerston
):P

Personally I recommend DVD or CD install to "upgrading" on-line. It solved ALL of my problems.

flipper9
November 6th, 2009, 11:10 PM
Hence why a clean, fresh install is superior to an upgrade. You avoid potential upgrade issues, start with a "clean-slate", and get the benefits of EXT4.

As for Windows 7...it's actually a pretty good operating system. Kudos to Microsoft for finally getting Windows Vista right. I don't hate Microsoft, I just refuse to pay anymore and to have to deal with DRM and other stuff that I can't do on Windows. I like Ubuntu and Linux because I can do more "cool stuff", be more productive, have access to large amounts of great software. It ain't perfect, but I like Ubuntu more than Windows now.

zuerston
November 6th, 2009, 11:46 PM
Hence why a clean, fresh install is superior to an upgrade. You avoid potential upgrade issues, start with a "clean-slate", and get the benefits of EXT4.

As for Windows 7...it's actually a pretty good operating system. Kudos to Microsoft for finally getting Windows Vista right. I don't hate Microsoft, I just refuse to pay anymore and to have to deal with DRM and other stuff that I can't do on Windows. I like Ubuntu and Linux because I can do more "cool stuff", be more productive, have access to large amounts of great software. It ain't perfect, but I like Ubuntu more than Windows now.
Hello
Yes EXT4 seems like a great improvement in the file system,I Googled it and found some great reading in the wicki link below. Installing from CD/DVD will result in the EXT4 system in your Ubuntu 9.10, I dont know if live links are permitted here so I will XX it hxxp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ext4 in case anyone is interested in EXT4

BTW This is the only place I thought appropriate for this thread because it's all about upgrading and installation of your new Ubuntu OS.

skillllllz
November 7th, 2009, 12:05 AM
It boils down to this: every OS is great until you run into problems.

Thats where (for me) Linux really shines; I can generally find a simple way to fix the issue at hand (which is very rare BTW. I just don't experience random issues). Because of this, I get to spend more time actually using my computer instead of mucking about with settings, 3rd party utilities that promise magic fixes and all that nonsense.

For me, the difference is night and day; Linux is so much more robust and transparent that it just no longer makes sense to consider use anything else. This may not ring true for others, but for myself and the folks who grew tired of all the BS and discovered a better way with Linux, it resonates completely.