PDA

View Full Version : Help choosing a mobile phone

MrNatewood
November 6th, 2009, 09:06 PM
At first I thought I'd only pick one with linux, turns out my provider only offers one, the Samsung I7500 Galaxy.

I googled it and found a very unflattering review on it's Android implementation. So I though I'd ask here to see if someone knows anything about it.

My other options are:
Nokia N86(familiar with nokia interface)
Samsung Omnia i900(Hope I won't need anti-spyware tools for this one...)

Usage would be mostly calls(obviously) and WiFi surfing. Possibly games if any good ones are freely available.

So which should I pick?
(Will almost certainly be able to get any of the three for free so price not an issue)

pwnst*r
November 6th, 2009, 09:25 PM
who's your carrier

craigeo
November 6th, 2009, 09:50 PM
I'm with Verizon.
I went with all intentions of getting the Samsung Omnia when I renewed... I played with the phone and I thought it felt cheap. Touch screen sucked on it, the OS response was slow, the back fell off the phone when I was holding it...
Ended up going with the HTC Ozone ... love the phone. Had it about 2 months now.

chris200x9
November 6th, 2009, 10:21 PM
I'm with Verizon.
I went with all intentions of getting the Samsung Omnia when I renewed... I played with the phone and I thought it felt cheap. Touch screen sucked on it, the OS response was slow, the back fell off the phone when I was holding it...
Ended up going with the HTC Ozone ... love the phone. Had it about 2 months now.

droid?

SomeGuyDude
November 6th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Droid. Definitely the Droid.

pwnst*r
November 6th, 2009, 10:30 PM
yep, a girl friend of mine got hers today and she loves it. ima play with it in a couple hours ;O

PhoHammer
November 6th, 2009, 10:33 PM
droid. Definitely the droid.

+4,000!!!

LookTJ
November 6th, 2009, 10:34 PM
yep, a girl friend of mine got hers today and she loves it. ima play with it in a couple hours ;O
Wait, you have more than one girlfriend. ;)

Also the Droid looks awesome from a video on youtube. I might go to the store to check it out.

MrNatewood
November 6th, 2009, 10:56 PM
who's your carrier

Orange, you shouldn't know it, I'm from Israel.

hanzomon4
November 6th, 2009, 11:13 PM
Droid. Definitely the Droid.

Yeah go Droid or Eris (http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=5070)

At first I thought the Droid was more expensive, plan wise, then the iPhone but really it's only by about 2 dollars. The only thing that I see that I don't like is the fact that you have to pay for exchange support. WTF?!? that should be free with the data plan same with visual voice mail.

EternalLiberty
November 15th, 2009, 08:01 AM
I'm an iPhone user that has been waiting to change to a new phone for a while now. My two year contract with AT&T just ended a few months ago and I plan on changing to Verizon to get a Droid. I even stopped buying iPhone apps a number of months ago.

I'm really not a fan of Apple the company. They don't put their users first. I was a Mac switcher for a few years before switching to Linux.

I'm a fan of the Android OS because I don't like being tied to a single device.

gn2
November 15th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Orange, you shouldn't know it, I'm from Israel.

Orange are a global company, part of France Telecom.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_(brand)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/France_T%C3%A9l%C3%A9com