PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Mouse issue after Karmic Koala upgrade- Left handed not noticed

Dr J
November 6th, 2009, 08:26 PM
I upgraded to Karmic Koala from the previous version- I use my trackpad left handed- with the buttons reversed.

But no matter what I set in the "Mouse" control panel I get the buttons the "regular" way.

Help please- how do I get my mouse back left handed- my right hand doesn't work all that well, so using the buttons the "regular" way is not possible.

Oh using a Panasonic T4- upgraded and no other issues seen.

xtbt
November 13th, 2009, 05:48 AM
This seems to be a common problem with this release and you are not the only one with the problem. I have that particular problem too.

I'm using an Acer Aspire 5536 and I can't set the touchpad to left-handed even with a fresh install of Ubuntu.

A thread of this issue were posted some weeks ago but the moderators closed it because 'Karmic Koala' was in development phase. Well, now that Karmic Koala is an Official Release I hope someone help all the lefties users of this wonderful Linux Distribution.

Thanks in advance,
X-TBT a.k.a. The Mentor.

n00pster
November 19th, 2009, 02:18 AM
This below workaround works for me:

================================================== =======
Manuel wrote on 2009-11-15: #22
temporary workaround:

- run "xinput list"
- Find the name of your touchpad (above the line "Type is TOUCHPAD")
- run xinput set-button-map "<your touchpad name>" 3 2 1

for me it was
xinput set-button-map "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad" 3 2 1

May be we can add this to our .bashrc

xtbt
November 19th, 2009, 08:56 AM
This below workaround works for me:

Manuel wrote on 2009-11-15: #22
temporary workaround:

- run "xinput list"
- Find the name of your touchpad (above the line "Type is TOUCHPAD")
- run xinput set-button-map "<your touchpad name>" 3 2 1

for me it was
xinput set-button-map "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad" 3 2 1

May be we can add this to our .bashrc

OMG, you're my life saver. I was thinking that maybe I was gonna live with the problem forever. It's a really pain in the *** for lefties like me having to use a touchpad with the right hand.

About putting the script in .bashrc, I don't think that would be the best place to put it. I suggest adding the entry into the Start up applications list.

Well n00pster, thank you very much.
X-TBT a.k.a. The Mentor.