PDA

View Full Version : Bing.com? - now i know where the name came from

buck2825
November 6th, 2009, 08:17 PM
guy at work found this thought I would share

CJ Master
November 6th, 2009, 08:19 PM
You need to upload your picture to a service such as TinyPic (http://tinypic.com/).

pwnst*r
November 6th, 2009, 08:30 PM
man, that's hilarious. sides splitting.

ZankerH
November 6th, 2009, 08:47 PM
I'm still in favour of the recursive acronym theory - "Bing is not Google".

Xbehave
November 6th, 2009, 09:05 PM
You need to upload your picture to a service such as TinyPic (http://tinypic.com/).
Why? you can put an attached image in posts if you want, but it makes the thread much more readable if you just leave them as attachments.

hoppipolla
November 6th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Ha! Well there we go :)

It means "disease" in one of the most spoken languages in the world!

Maheriano
November 6th, 2009, 09:13 PM
I just asked my ex girlfriend to confirm this. Will post back.

pwnst*r
November 6th, 2009, 09:35 PM
check this out! http://depositfiles.com/files/ve1ruvdva

um. no thanks.

CJ Master
November 6th, 2009, 10:11 PM
Why? you can put an attached image in posts if you want, but it makes the thread much more readable if you just leave them as attachments.

His origional post was something like file://C:/Documents and settings/img.png

The Funkbomb
November 6th, 2009, 10:23 PM
I tried Bing out just to see what everyone is talking about. I saw nothing special.

Google is all you need. You just need to learn how to pick your search terms.

MasterNetra
November 6th, 2009, 10:29 PM
I tried Bing out just to see what everyone is talking about. I saw nothing special.

lol I never use any search engine except Google. ^.^

The Funkbomb
November 6th, 2009, 10:34 PM
Oh, the other thing I hate are the commercials. Obnoxious.

CharmyBee
November 6th, 2009, 10:37 PM
This search engine would be popular for '20s gangsters. Bing 'em and whack 'im. It'll make you a bing you can't refuse.

One thing I like about Bing is the bird's eye view for maps. This puts a little more perspective over the strict top down satellite images.

hoppipolla
November 6th, 2009, 10:39 PM

Bing's alright. It looks quite pretty but I actually preferred the look of Ask about... 2 years ago? When it had the little images for different kinds of searches!

Sadly though it's actual search results have always been quite poor, hence why I don't use it!

Maheriano
November 7th, 2009, 12:27 AM
I just asked my ex girlfriend to confirm this. Will post back.

So she got back to me and apparently bing is Chinese for disease, it's true.

And it looks like Microsoft is teaming up with ESRI which is where the map software is coming from.

Xbehave
November 7th, 2009, 12:33 AM
His origional post was something like file://C:/Documents and settings/img.png
ah well once attached he can do [img]http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=135036&d=1257535112[<not this>/IMG]

JDShu
November 7th, 2009, 12:35 AM
Oh, the other thing I hate are the commercials. Obnoxious.

Exactly! According to the commercials, we need Bing to make our decisions for us.

solitaire
November 7th, 2009, 12:39 AM
What was Microsofts other attempt at a search engine?
It had a video of a girl that reacted and responded to your queries in some weird (and sometimes funny) ways?

The Funkbomb
November 7th, 2009, 12:42 AM
Exactly! According to the commercials, we need Bing to make our decisions for us.

Of course. And people wonder how Skynet became self aware. There was a time when searches were strongly boolean dependent. When our school libraries first switched from physical Card Catalog to a computerized system, it was strictly boolean search operators.

Now it seems like you can put a search in for anything and find what you're looking for in the top 10 results. That's cool I guess. Maybe I see computers differently. I like a computer that challenges and inspires me to think rather than think for me.

samjh
November 7th, 2009, 12:43 AM

Live Search. It is no longer operational (replaced by Bing).

Personally, I think Live Search was quite good. At least at the same level as Google, Yahoo, and Ask.

BTW, Cuil, the search engine set up by some ex-Google employees, seem to be running well these days.

pwnst*r
November 7th, 2009, 02:52 AM
Of course. And people wonder how Skynet became self aware. There was a time when searches were strongly boolean dependent. When our school libraries first switched from physical Card Catalog to a computerized system, it was strictly boolean search operators.

Now it seems like you can put a search in for anything and find what you're looking for in the top 10 results. That's cool I guess. Maybe I see computers differently. I like a computer that challenges and inspires me to think rather than think for me.

lol, WOW.

Edgeworth
November 7th, 2009, 03:20 AM
Chinese is weird like that. Bing can also be translated as "luminous" (probably more along the lines of what they were going for) or as "wooden shoe", which is not relevant at all, but it's somewhat funny.

BuffaloX
November 7th, 2009, 03:34 AM

Wow that's amazing, I never noticed that how ironic.
So Bing is not Google it's a disease.
Maybe someone at Microsoft really hates it there. :p

afeasfaerw23231233
November 7th, 2009, 04:08 AM
Chinese is weird like that. Bing can also be translated as "luminous" (probably more along the lines of what they were going for) or as "wooden shoe", which is not relevant at all, but it's somewhat funny.

It depends on its tones. If you know Mandarin it is not weird and confusing at all.

bing1 檳, 屏, 冰, 兵
bing3 丙, 昺, 稟, 餅, 秉, 炳
bing4 摒, 柄, 枋, 病, 并, 並, 併

siimo
November 7th, 2009, 04:31 AM
Even if bing stands for "disease" then it is not a very bad name at all.

Although this was posted here for all the Microsoft haters here to laugh about it.

I think of it like this:
Microsoft's web crawlers spreading across the web like a "disease" to reach every single website and index it into its search engine database.

Pretty good name for what its worth. :rolleyes:

Exodist
November 7th, 2009, 05:43 AM
guy at work found this thought I would share
Fortune cookies DO tell the truth.. lol

Maheriano
November 7th, 2009, 06:32 AM
It had a video of a girl that reacted and responded to your queries in some weird (and sometimes funny) ways?

Live Search. It is no longer operational (replaced by Bing).
Wrong, it was Ms. Dewey and it sucked.

misfitpierce
November 7th, 2009, 06:37 AM
Hahaha... thats freakin great right there! Laugh!

afeasfaerw23231233
November 12th, 2009, 09:37 AM
MS Windows has had a good name in China starting from the Windows 95 era

Windows 95 = Win 95 = 瘟95 (disease 95/ pandemic 95)

瘟 (瘟疫 pandemic, epidemic) is definitely a bad thing in Chinese.

Win3.1, Win95, Win98, WinME, Win2000, WinXP, Win Vista, Win7......
瘟3.1, 瘟95, 瘟98, 瘟ME, 瘟2000, 瘟XP, 瘟Vista, 瘟7......

Keep going until the end of the world, or the bankruptcy of MS. ;)

HappinessNow
November 12th, 2009, 09:53 AM
That is nice, but I always thought they named themselves after the Bing Cherry or Bing Crosby.

inobe
November 12th, 2009, 10:14 AM
they couldn't use the term Bingo and left out the o

the term in the u.s. is either a game that's played or a slang/ metaphor that suggests "gotcha" or "got it" "found it"