PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can Ubuntu be a media server only, i.e. boot straight to some great media center?

infocom
November 6th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Hi all

I have a PS3 and the media centre on that is pretty poor. If you use en external drive for your music and pics you cant even use the system to its full potential with playlists, slideshows, visualisations, genre etc etc. Its pretty poor with these anyway.

So I am going to install Ubuntu on it and use Ubuntu software to play music and pics.

I dont want to use anything else in Ubuntu so questions are:-

a) is there a Media Centre for Ubuntu like you have Windows Media Centre, or as you have on XBox and PS3, i.e. some interface I will be able to control with my remote control to select Music and Pictures etc.

b) If there is, is it possible to set Ubuntu up to auto login and start this software without having to do anything, i.e. power on and straight into Media Centre?

c) If not then are there other suggestions? I tried MegaBox but couldnt get it to run, it just hung after install.

Thanks!

Relysis
November 6th, 2009, 11:36 PM
Boxee has a great interface, and supports movies, music, streaming internet videos, etc. It also has a large, pretty interface and can be controlled via remote. You may want to check that out. As far as startup goes, Ubuntu is completely customizable. You can simply go into startup applications, add Boxee, and disable everything else you don't need. You'll also want to enable automatic login. I have a laptop hooked up to my tv for that purpose, and it works great. The only downfall is that Hulu is constantly fighting Boxee, so don't expect Hulu support to be that great. Although I use Boxee mostly for video, the music support is also great.

TomtheWombat
November 10th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Boxee is currently the best media center for your effort on Linux. If you want total control, then go for XBMC (Boxee is based on it.) If you have a TV card and want to watch live tv, then MythTV.

All of these have can be used to play music, but I prefer to install mpd and control the playlist from a different computer/iphone/etc.

jwiley
November 10th, 2009, 10:12 PM
boxee is great, but last i checked it wasn't made for ppc processors--only x86 arch (at least that's the way it is for osx, i haven't tried the linux version of it yet).

and to the original poster----i'm in the exact same boat at you!

right now i have a mac mini & a ps3 connected to my television, but now that neflix works on ps3....i need to find a better way to get the ps3 working as my multimedia center.

here's what i'm planning to do: i'm going to move the mini to a different location in my apt, run the cat5 for the ps3 & the mini.

i have a streaming app on the mini so i can access all the media on there through the ps3.
the only problem i have is this---no hulu for ps3!!!

so i made a ps3 backup last night, i'm goign to install 9.10 tonight and see if i can get the controller to work as a mouse, and automatically boot into hulu. but i'll be sure to see if boxee can be compiled on here as well, but i'm not hopeful about that at all.

i'll let you know if i have any success!

Boxee is currently the best media center for your effort on Linux. If you want total control, then go for XBMC (Boxee is based on it.) If you have a TV card and want to watch live tv, then MythTV.

All of these have can be used to play music, but I prefer to install mpd and control the playlist from a different computer/iphone/etc.

HappyFeet
November 10th, 2009, 11:05 PM
Check out MythTV.

ElSlunko
November 10th, 2009, 11:07 PM
Moovida isn't bad either. Formerly elisa media center. New version of Boxee due out soon.