PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Everything but network works on 9.10

stanley45
November 6th, 2009, 08:03 PM
I've been running 9.04 for a while, on a multiboot machine shared with Vista, multibooting via Acronis.
I did the automatic download, which worked smoothly and quickly. But when I tried to connect to the internet, Ubuntu told me there was no network. What to do?
If I multiboot back to Vista, the network works perfectly (and I am using it for this thread).
I didn't see any other threads with this weird problem. I tried using the Network Tools, Network Preferences, but didn't see anything there to help. ?????

stanley45
November 7th, 2009, 05:54 PM
New info on this weird change in 9.10

On Vista, three networks appear, mine being the strongest and my two neighbors, much weaker.
On Ubuntu 9.04, it was identical, and Ubuntu automatically connected to my home network.
On Ubuntu 9.10, only the two neighboring networks show up, the home network does not. It is listed in preferences/network connections, of course, but somehow, someway, it is filtered out by Ubuntu 9.10.
Immediately after seeing how 9.10 filters away my home network, I can multiboot back to Vista and automatically connect to it.

HOW CAN THIS HAPPEN?

jheaton5
November 7th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Are you using Network Manager? do you have network-manager-gui installed? I am assuming we are talking about a wireless connection.

conrados1
November 7th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Do you have a Broadcom driver if so I have the files and directions to get you wireless connection working because I had the same problem.

jheaton5
November 7th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Do you have a Broadcom driver if so I have the files and directions to get you wireless connection working because I had the same problem.
The Broadcom drvers are available from System>Administration>Hardware Drivers.

stanley45
November 9th, 2009, 03:21 AM
Thanks for the replies.
No, I don't have a Broadcom adapter, a Linksys.

I don't have Network Manager installed that I know of. Ubuntu 9.4 connected flawlessly with the configuration I preserved onto 9.10 .

But this mystery still happened.

michaelaudet
January 23rd, 2010, 05:52 AM
ubuntu is new to me too but not linux based systems, i have a broadcom wireless card and my internet works fine in windows seven but not in ubuntu. how do i go about getting this to work?

oscarcool40
January 23rd, 2010, 06:11 AM
sorry to be bothering you guys but my computer thats ubuntu keeps saying

This is a major failure of your software management system. Please check for broken packages with synaptic, check the file permissions and correctness of the file '/etc/apt/sources.list' and reload the software information with: 'sudo apt-get update' and 'sudo apt-get install -f'.

and so i do it and it keeps saying

Reading package lists... Error!
E: Unable to write mmap - msync (28 No space left on device)
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

and so now i dont have any options left but to turn to the glorious linux fans like i