PDA

View Full Version : Can you suggest me an operating system for a friend of mine?

TruebaseB
November 6th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Hi,

I have a friend,who use windows,but he need something new and different.

He want to play games,and do everything.

He tried Xubuntu,but he didn't like it,and he doesn't want to see again a linux desktop.

I explained to him that Xubuntu has xfce which is pretty ugly (but lightweight) if you compare it with kde or gnome,but he saying that "All the linux distros is the same sit.Ugly,useless,and you must using the damn console all day long".

Xubuntu caused this opinion to him,and i don't know how to change his mind,because linux isn't only xfce.

I tried to convince him to use BSD,which is more difficult than linux but he can play games on wine,etc,but again nothing.

He playing WoW,so i told him that it's working under wine both on BSD and linux,but this didn't chance his mind either.

He wanna make this change,but he doesn't like any alternative os.

What more can i do?

NoaHall
November 6th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Not a lot. But try showing him a distro running KDE and Compiz (PCLinuxOS, or something). BSD was a bad idea btw. It's a messy system for someone who doesn't know what they are doing.

JDShu
November 6th, 2009, 07:50 PM
don't bother hahaha

gnomeuser
November 6th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Windows 7, really.. he seems uninterested in really switching to Linux just yet and he definitely falls into that gamer category we have a hard time serving just yet. So tell him to upgrade to Windows 7, it is at least the most decent version of Windows yet.

Then if he is willing set him up with a dualboot and a standard Ubuntu he can play with or listen to him and figure out just what would be a killer feature for him. Often it just takes one "oh that is nifty" to get people to get Linux an honest try and it seems you do not know what it is he exactly needs as motivation for an honest attempt.

cariboo
November 6th, 2009, 07:51 PM
If your "friend" wants to play games, he is better off using windows, or buying a console.

snowpine
November 6th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Let him use Windows, who cares? :)

albandy
November 6th, 2009, 07:52 PM
install this theme and show it him

http://bitelia.com/2009/10/disfraza-a-ubuntu-como-si-fuera-windows-7

TruebaseB
November 6th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Hmm he has seen my old KDE Desktop but he didn't like it either.:mrgreen:

He is weird,he doesn't like LinuxXP,or linux with windows themes,and he hate all the operating systems,windows too,and he don't know what he likes.

He installed the Windows Seven but he reformated his hdd after a while,and he installed again vista (he did the most stupid thing in my opinion).

Also he has a ps3 for games,but ps3 doesn't play WoW. :)

RiceMonster
November 6th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Sounds like your friend should use Windows.

H2SO_four
November 6th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Hmm he has seen my old KDE Desktop but he didn't like it either.:mrgreen:

He is weird,he doesn't like LinuxXP,or linux with windows themes,and he hate all the operating systems,windows too,and he don't know what he likes.

He installed the Windows Seven but he reformated his hdd after a while,and he installed again vista (he did the most stupid thing in my opinion).

If he hates them all, then by definition he won't be happy with any.
It is nearly impossible to help someone when they don't have any clue as to what they want. You are probably fighting a battle that you won't have any happy outcome.

Let him stick with the Vista if it works for him.

hoppipolla
November 6th, 2009, 08:12 PM

2nded. He can't take on an alternative OS if he isn't willing to get to know it and accept that it ISN'T Windows.

Has he tried Mac OSX? Other than that I don't know, if he doesn't like Ubuntu/Kubuntu then I certainly can't think of anything superior ._.

TruebaseB
November 6th, 2009, 08:28 PM
If you want me to tell the truth,windows is the only thing that he can use without problem.:)

If he hates them all, then by definition he won't be happy with any.
It is nearly impossible to help someone when they don't have any clue as to what they want. You are probably fighting a battle that you won't have any happy outcome.

Let him stick with the Vista if it works for him.I really need to find for him a good os,but every os that i suggest him,he says that "it's useless and ugly".

If you want my opinion,i don't wanna let him using vista,because he wants something new,but i can't help him either.

2nded. He can't take on an alternative OS if he isn't willing to get to know it and accept that it ISN'T Windows.

Has he tried Mac OSX? Other than that I don't know, if he doesn't like Ubuntu/Kubuntu then I certainly can't think of anything superior ._.
Yep,he says that he likes mac osx,but he hate it because it doesn't work on his hardware,plus i told him that Mac Osx it's BSD,and he freaked out.:lolflag:

Thanks guys for the fast response.:D

kio_http
November 6th, 2009, 08:32 PM
If he uses it to play games his better of with Windows or OS X.

However if you want him to experience Linux run kubuntu in virtualbox; it now has ful 3d support for linux guest os's and so you can run compiz.

TruebaseB
November 6th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Holy smoke! How i didn't thinked that!

I'll tell him to give a second chance on linux,and i'll tell him to install Kubuntu or Ubuntu on VirtualBox!

Thanks kio_http.):P

kio_http
November 7th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Holy smoke! How i didn't thinked that!
Thanks kio_http.):P

No problem, thats the purpose of a forum, to get answers and assistance!

praveesh
November 7th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Show him a kde installed in Ubuntu . Change the boot logo to a "wonderful os" . Change the icon of kmenu too . Then install some decent games using playonlinux . After all of there , show him without saying it's a linux . If he wish to try installing softwares, show him only synaptic .

Ps: your friend is a different person , really.

praveesh
November 7th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Deleted

praveesh
November 7th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Deleted

TruebaseB
November 7th, 2009, 11:59 PM
No problem, thats the purpose of a forum, to get answers and assistance!Hehe.):P

Show him a kde installed in Ubuntu . Change the boot logo to a "wonderful os" . Change the icon of kmenu too . Then install some decent games using playonlinux . After all of there , show him without saying it's a linux . If he wish to try installing softwares, show him only synaptic .

Ps: your friend is a different person , really.Actually the trick with the theme it doesn't work,but you gave me an idea with the PlayOnLinux.:D

He knows about Wine and Cedega,but i'll tell him that the PlayOnLinux is brand new and is working better than the other... If he make the change to linux,and he don't like the PlayOnLinux,of course he will have mainstream solutions like wine and cedega.:lolflag:

mwalimu54
November 8th, 2009, 02:43 AM
Tell him to go live in the woods like Henry David Thoreau and play mumblety-peg.

Frak
November 8th, 2009, 04:59 AM
I suggest Windows. Does everything he wants.

kavon89
November 8th, 2009, 06:01 AM

Windows 7

phrostbyte
November 8th, 2009, 06:03 AM
Dual boot Ubuntu or put in on a VM. Don't expect somewhat like that to be able to switch to Linux entirely, but he doesn't have to be deprived of it anyway. :p

Exodist
November 8th, 2009, 07:27 AM
Hi,

I have a friend,who use windows,but he need something new and different.

He tried Xubuntu,but he didn't like it,and he doesn't want to see again a linux desktop.

I explained to him that Xubuntu has xfce which is pretty ugly (but lightweight) if you compare it with kde or gnome,but he saying that "All the linux distros is the same sit.Ugly,useless,and you must using the damn console all day long".

Xubuntu caused this opinion to him,and i don't know how to change his mind,because linux isn't only xfce.

I tried to convince him to use BSD,which is more difficult than linux but he can play games on wine,etc,but again nothing.

He playing WoW,so i told him that it's working under wine both on BSD and linux,but this didn't chance his mind either.

He wanna make this change,but he doesn't like any alternative os.

What more can i do?
Sounds like he wants to use Windows, dont force him to change. When hes sick and tired of Windows issue you can offer a linux solution, but trying to push it on him will just further detour him from ever using it.

SunnyRabbiera
November 8th, 2009, 07:46 AM
If he doesnt like linux or windows there is always a Mac, if he can afford it.

murderslastcrow
November 8th, 2009, 08:08 AM
I think just setting up a computer with WoW and all of his commonly used programs already installed on it and showing him how it runs would be a good idea, so he knows it's capable.

Also, if he's fine putting his XP license in a VirtualBox and has enough RAM, why not let him try seamless mode out and see if it's to his liking? And if not, just waiting a couple years when these things have improved might be enough to help him switch.

But, like many others have said, he seems like an inherently picky person. I think a dual-boot might be the only thing to satisfy him, or just giving up on Linux for the time being if it doesn't offer what he needs. Linux won't be perfect for everyone, just most people. So even if it's only dozens of millions of people using Linux, that's cool as long as we have good enough developers. Don't worry too much about converting people to a new way of digital life. Wait until they're ready for Linux. Linux will always be ready for them.

RabbitWho
November 8th, 2009, 10:41 AM
He sounds stubborn.. and if he prefers vista to 7.. he's not interested in learning something new, even with minimal effort and minimal changes. I don't think he's linux material, you need to be patient and curious at the start... and curious for ever I would say... for example "I wonder is there a way for me to... yay there is!"

K.Mandla
November 8th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Re: Can you suggest me an operating system for a friend of mine?
Windows.

cascade9
November 8th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Tie him to a desk, with a computer using OS/2.

Watch linux (and win 7) go up in his eyes. :shock:

TruebaseB
November 8th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Thanks for your advices guys.

I'm trying to convince him to install ubuntu with wubi,but he doesn't want to install it,even if i'm telling him that he can uninstall like a normal program.

I agree with RabbitWho,he's the worst stubborn ever. :o

Eagles18
November 8th, 2009, 08:55 PM
I like GNOME better than KDE,but KDE can be easier to get used to for long-time Windows users(except me:D)

thunk77
November 8th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Nobody should be "convinced" to run any operating system. He should buy a PC with windows seven preinstalled and be done with all that Linux nonsense :p